little network

Guest nikki6x

Hi, I have a question for you.

I want create a little network with my laptop and my pc with a USB Prolific data cable and share the file of two systems. Now I think I am to a good point because each computer can see the other (I ping the other pc and I have a answer). I have created an Ethernet connection on "usb0" (I can see it with ifconfig) using usbnet module and I have assigned IP number (10.0.1.1 and 10.0.1.2).

Well. But now? How I can simply configure my system to create a network??? Thanks a lot...

Help me please because I must work with this two sistem....

exactly what do you want to be able to do? share internet, or just share files? you have a network, now it's an issue of getting the programs you need to do what it is you want to do.

you could setup samba for file sharing (wait, are they both linux?), or you could setup an ftp server...or...well, there are quite a few options. provide more info :) what OS is each running? what version of mandrake?

both system running MDK 9.1 with 2.4.21 kernel. Now, the fist thing that interesting me is share files. I have read about mounting some folder as I could mount hd... I try to do this modifing /etc/extract on the server and fstab on client, adding address of the chosen folders but with no good results...

If I type:

mount -t nfs 10.0.1.1/home /home1

it say:

mount: RPC: Program not registered

I only make my server printer shared to client with cups (now I wanna try with scanner..)

But what I want are FILES!!!! Help!

(please no FTP server)

I can't be much help with nfs because I have yet to use it, but you can use samba, and likely it is already setup if you installed the packages. You can go edit /etc/samba/smb.conf to add additional shares, or just use existing $HOME shares. do a

ps auxw | grep mbd

to see if both smbd and nmbd are running. If so, and you have two same name users on both boxes you could get started really easily by going to the box you want to mount the remote drive to and (as root) doing something like this

mount -t smbfs //servername/home /mnt/sambahomemount

Of course this assumes that you already have a local folder named /mnt/sambahomemount (much less want it to be called that), and that the name of the other computer is defined in your /etc/hosts file as "servername"

One thing no matter what way you do it that you want to do right away is edit your /etc/hosts file (if you haven't already) so that the computer you are on recognizes the other computer as the name you want it to. It might look something like this

'192.168.1.2 BigbadServer'

Oh yeah, another thing you have to do is to add both root user and whatever other user you are going to use to the /etc/samba/smbpasswd file like so

smbpasswd root

give it the same password as you already have for nix, then

smbpasswd otheruser

again substituting "otheruser" for your actual user name and giving it the same password as you already have for nix.