fast linux distro download sites... ?

null

I was browsing around for other distro download sites, and I came across this place:

www.paypaldownload.com

I think you pay them 99 cents thru paypal, and you get a super-fast d/l of whatever distro you want. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this site... I am a member of paypal, and I think its worth 99 cents to get fast d/l's of different distros.

Here's a quote from their home page:

We warranty 100MB of dedicated bandwith for every person downloading from our servers!. At half these speed you can download a complete linux disc in less than a minute!!! If you don't get your ISP speed limit just let us know. We will pay you back and you get to keep the download! 

btw - what's would be the ISP speed limit for a typical DSL user (I have SW Bell DSL in Texas)

I average 80kbs with verizon. I have found that by "testing" the sights, I can find a sight that will give me that max. Whan I'm getting iso's, I have a list of ftp sights that I use. It's odd, but one of the best sights is in the netherlands!! (ftp.nnlug.ne) I'm in the middle of the US!! Go figure. I can get better speeds there than from servers in Illinois, right next door to me. BTW, our own ftp server is doing great. :wink:

I average 80kbs with verizon. I have found that by "testing" the sights, I can find a sight that will give me that max. Whan I'm getting iso's, I have a list of ftp sights that I use. It's odd, but one of the best sights is in the netherlands!! (ftp.nnlug.ne) I'm in the middle of the US!! Go figure. I can get better speeds there than from servers in Illinois, right next door to me. BTW, our own ftp server is doing great. :wink:

I use that same netherlands server and I'm in Missouri, carzy how you can get better speeds half way across the world and somewere like St. Luis for me stinks!

I don't see any reason to use a paypal server for your downloads, there are plenty of fast servers out there.

It's not worth paying for. They may give you that 100mb of dedicated bandwidth, but what really matters is how many "hops" are made on the internet to get from them to you, what speeds and bandwidth those hopes have a available, and what speed your internet connection is. most DSL connections don't break 800kb/s so getting 100MB of bandwidth really won't make a bit of a difference.

that is, more bandwidth != faster download speeds (necessarily).

When i get stuff from the Australian Sourceforge mirror in Sydney i have got up to 900kbps

I got debian from melbourne uni, that was bout 450kbps

it depends on where you get it from. I'm lucky there are close mirrors, the Melb Uni would be less than 30kms away. Whereas Sydnet is about 600kms away at least! Look for a close mirror. I get reasonable downloads from Netherlands and Ireland too though. It is also true what tyme said, how many hops makes a big difference. That's why i get better from Sydney.

This is from Melbourne, Australia.

Another factor is the amount of people on the server, the Australian ones are relatively uncrowded whereas a lot of the ones in the US are crowded.

Most DSL internet is 256kbps or 128kbps

Just be happy and gratefull you have fast internet, some people i know and some people here can't get it because of different issues.

James

Ok, should I tell you this??? :) I told it once before I think....

I always download from ftp.belnet.be

(btw: from sourceforge..I have the impression, the server in Ireland is faster to initiate...)

It isn't a small server I thihnk, it's a big one...:)...Maybe because it isn't crowded I don't know, what I know is that I can use my full downloadlimit if I donwload from there....that around 330 kbps. Its reall fast. I think I downloaded mutliple files at once, so it could be it was

200-300 for an individual file, anyway it's fast enough and it hast all linux distro's on it...and all kinds of oher software..

footnote to original post:

I tried downloading the RH CD 1 from redhat and was averaging around 47KB/s. Too slow, so I cancelled it. Then I took a chance with that paypaldownload site that advertises the "fastest" downloads on the internet. Paypaled them my 99 cents, and started the download.... 37KB/s !! What a ripoff ! I cancelled the download and emailed them a complaint. They refunded my paypal account immediately.

Moral of the story:

I should have listened to tyme, Ixthusdan, and cybrjackal, they were right.

thanks cybr -

I have just finished downloading all 3 RH isos from nluug.nl ftp site (netherlands). Maybe this was the site Ixthusdan was talking about :?

he said nnlug... I got pretty good speed from there (71 to 74 KB/s for first 2 discs and 88 KB/s for the 3rd)

Anyway, now to do the md5 sum check, and burn with Nero on my win2k box, and then attempt to install on my linux "play" box...

It'll be a miracle if it goes alright... :lol:

/arnold impersonation... "I'll be back"

thanks cybr -

I have just finished downloading all 3 RH isos from nluug.nl ftp site (netherlands).  Maybe this was the site Ixthusdan was talking about  :? 

he said nnlug... I got pretty good speed from there (71 to 74 KB/s for first 2 discs and 88 KB/s for the 3rd)

Anyway, now to do the md5 sum check, and burn with Nero on my win2k box, and then attempt to install on my linux "play" box...

It'll be a miracle if it goes alright...  :lol: 

/arnold impersonation... "I'll be back"

Good luck, if you have problems just post question in the Other Distro's and we'll try and help you.

I like to download from servers in eastern european countries while they are sleeping. I tend to get about 250-300KBs (just over 2Mbps which is the limit for my cable provider). It takes on the order of 40 minutes per CD. I find the Chekoslovakian sites tend to be really good.

Glitz.

after I downloaded the 3 redhat CDs from nluug, I downloaded the first 2 Debian CDs from some swiss ftp site (sunsite I think) - didn't get too good of speed from them, but at least I got 'em.

I can't find any md5 sums on that swiss site, I have another thread here where I ask about that...

http://www.mandrakeusers.org/viewtopic.php?t=8020

but nobody ever answered... :cry: