reinstall mandrake, now windows xp won't boot (how to fix?)

Peep

There are a lot of lilo threads and dual-booting threads, but I'm not really sure what to do... so I'm asking before I royally botch everything.

I reinstalled 9.1 a few months ago, but never bothered to try to boot into winxp until today. If i pick windows from lilo, it just goes to a black screen and the hard drive churns forever. I can see the windows partition from within mandrake, so i know it's still there.

It looks like lilo is in the hda mbr. should i have put it elsewhere, and does the windows bootloader need to be in the mbr? or what can i do to make windows bootable again?

I dual boot xp and usually two other linux distros. What I have noticed is if xp was dual booting before linux, there may be xp boot loader issues. I loaded xp first, after I set up the partitions, and then I loaded mandrake with lilo. It resides on the mbr of hda, and there are no problems. If I ever service windex, I remove lilo first. I have had widex try to "repair" the drive if I don't do that.

What does your lilo windex section look like? Her's mine:

other=/dev/hda1

label="windows_xp"

table=/dev/hda

Yes. Use the "rescue" mode on cd 1. Boot with the cd, hit esc, type "rescue" and look at the menu. The choices are for removing or reinstalling lilo/grbb, and repairing the windows mbr.

hmm, i removed lilo, repaired the windows mbr and it still didn't work :(

i reinstalled lilo and mandrake is fine. maybe this will convince me to get rid of windows completely, although i like having it on there so i can format "important" things in word and make sure they look fine (ie, resumes, etc).

ok, i uninstalled lilo (lilo -U /dev/hda), used the windows cd to repair the mbr (with both fixboot and fixmbr), and still can't get windows to load.

ALTHOUGH: i just picked windows from the lilo menu and let it sit there... after quite a while, it starts trying to load windows and eventually lets me pick safe mode/etc, but ends up rebooting after a while. so it's getting to windows, just not loading completely. i also get the little stripe at the bottom that windows shows when you're returning from suspend, but it usually takes about 5 seconds to load up... now after about 10 minutes it only gets about 1 inch of the bar. weird. maybe this is a question for a windows forum somewhere.