Please help me report a bug

gregor

In MDK9.2 RC2 (also RC1) KDE is freezing on my machine at random times. Sometimes when I start KDE, sometimes when I navigate K-menu and sometimes when I try to install new software.

Screen freezes, mouse doesn't move, keyboard doesn't respond (e.g. I can't turn on num/caps/scroll lock). Note: leds for num/caps/scroll are NOT blinking.

I can't restart X with: CTRL+ALT+Backspace

I can't log in to this machine with ssh.

I can't reboot with: Sys Rq (ALT + PrintScreen) + B

It doesn't freeze in GNOME or IceWM! I can also recompile kernel without errors.

I have upgraded from 9.0 to 9.2RC1 and then to 9.2RC2. I use XFS filesystem.

I have AMD K6 350MHz downclocked to 266Mhz (because in MDK 9.0 I couldn't recompile kernel on 350Mhz - signal 11).

What info should I provide in a bug report?

I would include the output of

dmesg

.xsession-errors (from the home directory of the user that was logged into KDE at the time this happened)

excerpt from /var/log/syslog and /var/log/messages at the time this occurred

version of KDE you are using

ps ax

Do a 'locate core' and see if there are any core files on your system and send them (noting where they were) . They'll be named core.(buncha numbers) if I remember correctly. Send them.

I think that should about cover it. This may be overkill, but it's what I would do.

Send all you can find as posted above. If they need more they will let you know. Make sure to tell them if you are a newbie. If you are they should give info on how to get the info.

You should also tell them as much as you can with your hardware and about your file system. How you partitioned and ext2, ext3 etc.

Do report though. They are asking for the help.

:D :D :D :D