SuSE, HP psc2110, cannot scan

This is a very minor gripe, cuz SuSE is very good in every other respect (so far).

I have a HP all-in-one (printer/scanner/copier) model PSC2110,

and it prints and scans great under Mandrake, but in SuSE it will print but not scan.

The main problem is that it won't configure the scanner properly.

I have searched and tried everything I know how, but it still won't. Can't seem to load the driver 'hpoj'.

Realize this is a longshot, but if anyone here has the same stuff, and got it to work, I could sure use some advice.

Thanks in advance.

Well, yes and no. I don't have a 2110, but I DO have a 1210. It's the cheaper version.

What I had o do was uninstall ALL of the hpoj drivers installed by mandrake, then I had to download and manualy install the latest version of the hpijs (HP in jet service) whitch is now at version 1.4.1 THat meant manulay compiling from source.

Once I had that, I had to compile the latest CVS version of hpoj. If you search for your printer at www.linuxprinting.org, it should cover all this. Anyway, once that is downloaded, compiled and installed, you need to set up the connection to your priter without touching the mandrake controll center, whitch will try and install the mandrake packages for hpijs and hpoj. THe command to do this is

ptal-init setup

follow the prompts and it will register your printer with the hpijs and hpoj.

Now all you have to do is set up CUPS and you're off and running. If that was all over your head or if you have trpuble let me know. The 2110 is a litle differnt (Like I think it connects via lpt OR USB instead of just USB like my 1210) but I will help however I can.

notes:

1. you do NOT need to uninstall the hpijs drivers that are dfault. 1.4.1 can go right over the top.

2. Use checkinstall. If you don't have checkinstall, GET checkinstall. f you don't know what it is, when you install software from source, at the point you would normaly type 'make install' you type 'checkinstall' and it will install it as an RPM, so you can remove it easily with mcc later on. Also makes .deb and one other.

When trying to configure with YaST,

it will not autodetect scanner, so (manually) it will let me pick the make, and model, of the device, but it will not allow choosing the hpoj driver. I have tried to select generic as well, no luck.

I am short on time right now, but the printer section works fine, and shows driver hpojis.

Thanks again-

Is this a USB printer? If so, what is in your:

#more /etc/rc.config.d/usb.rc.config

If "scanner" isn't in there, add it.

USB_DRIVERS="scanner"

If there is anything else in there, DON"T take it out.

Also, check your:

#more /etc/sane.d/hp.conf

Tell me if you have one of those and what's in it. You should have something like this:

/dev/usbscanner

option connect-device

If you don't have a device-file for your USB-Scanner yet, you can create one with the command:

#mknod /dev/usbscanner c 180 48

To give all users access, change the group-rights for this device and add the users who should have access to the Scanner into the group disk.

chgrp disk /dev/usbscanner

chmod g+rw /dev/usbscanner

Hi again.

Yes it is a USB device.

No, my system doesn't have:

/etc/rc.config.d/usb.rc.config

I do have:

/etc/sane.d/hp.conf, and I uncommented the two lines as you have pointed out.

I have no luck yet. I should point out that, in Mandrake, once the printer was setup, the scanner required no further configuration, in other words, the printer/scanner were apparently configured as a unit,(which it really is) and both worked right out of the box, so to speak.

Thanks!

I was just thinking if you bought it you could call them to see if they would support it. Just curious if there support was ever worth a darn. I bought several SuSE box sets but I never called them.

To sum it up, currently I'm out of ideas until I have time to search more about it.

Thanks again, I do appreciate all the help.

I gotta say you have been great.

I also want to say how much I dig SuSE in general.

It sets up and runs everthing almost as well as Mandrake, and some stuff is better, some not so good, but overall I give it an 'A'.

But Debian, that's another story, in my (not so knowledgable) opinion.

I mean really, out of the box, can't even run X, And why should you have to upgrade to an unstable version, just to run KDE? I like the apt feature, of course, but even after I did all the stuff we went over in my other thread, I still had no use of my cd writer or dvd player.

There, I'm done complaining, :wink: and actually I will get back to working on that elusive Debian install soon, though.

I hope you have the patience to help more! :)

Thanks again, I do appreciate all the help.

I gotta say you have been great.

I also want to say how much I dig SuSE in general.

It sets up and runs everthing almost as well as Mandrake, and some stuff is better, some not so good, but overall I give it an 'A'.

But Debian, that's another story, in my (not so knowledgable) opinion.

I mean really, out of the box, can't even run X, And why should you have to upgrade to an unstable version, just to run KDE? I like the apt feature, of course, but even after I did all the stuff we went over in my other thread, I still had no use of my cd writer or dvd player.

There, I'm done complaining,  :wink: and actually I will get back to working on that elusive Debian install soon, though.

I hope you have the patience to help more! :)

Your welcome, WE will all alway's try and help when we can. Like I said, I haven't fully given up, I just will need some time to search around, and if anyone else has any ideas they can chime in too. :wink:

What happens to it when you try and load the drivers for it?

hpijs and hpoj

Do you get an error message or anything? When you open up your scanning software, does it find the device? I think there is a Scanner area in YAST, it's been awhile but have you looked in there?

Well, if I try to set up the scanner in YaST, it will not auto-detect, so by doing it manually, and choosing "Hewlett Packard" and then the model, it will always give the error that configuring the scanner was unsuccessful.

I found a couple web sites that have info on this, and it looks as if I might have to do it all by hand, without YaST.

I need to research that more, and see if I can do it.

In the meantime, if I just run 'xsane' it says no devices detected.

Mandrake must have something different in the way it handles this hardware, because it works perfectly on Mandrake.

And thanks...

Here's where I am now,

I have installed the hpoj and hpijs from source, and the next step, according to all the documentation I have found, is to do

ptal-init-setup

So I do that, and nothing is detected, like it should be, so I don't know where to go from here.

Here is the result from that command:

linux:/home/mike # /usr/sbin/ptal-init setup

Stopping the HP OfficeJet Linux driver.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

This program manages devices controlled by the HP OfficeJet Linux

driver (hpoj). It attempts to probe your computer for local parallel-

and USB-connected devices, and allows you to specify network addresses

for remote JetDirect-connected devices.

If you experience any difficulties in detecting your device(s), then

refer to the hpoj documentation for troubleshooting information.

Currently defined device names (

[*]=default):

(none)

Probe for parallel-connected devices ([y]/n)? n

Probe for USB-connected devices ([y]/n)? y

Probing "/dev/usb/lp0"...

No device found.

Probing "/dev/usb/lp1"...

No device found.

Probing "/dev/usb/lp2"...

No device found.

Probing "/dev/usb/lp3"...

No device found.

Probing "/dev/usb/lp4"...

No device found.

Probing "/dev/usb/lp5"...

No device found.

Probing "/dev/usb/lp6"...

No device found.

Probing "/dev/usb/lp7"...

No device found.

Press <Enter> alone to continue, or if you would like to add a

JetDirect-connected device, then enter its dotted-decimal

IP address or hostname here --->

I uninstalled the hpoj and hpjis drivers, and re-installed the standard hpoj driver (rpm) which comes with SuSE, and got the scanner to work, sort of, then re-installed hpjis and got the printer working.

I need to now figure out how to load the 'ptal-init' on boot-up.

Then I think I'll be all good again.

Thanks...