Restarting a VNC session

Guest Stumbles

Guest Stumbles

I have vnc working nicely. What I'm trying to figure out is this.

I'm at machine A and run vncviewer and connect to machine B. That works fine, got the KDE destop and its just like I was setting at machne B. So now I'm done futzing with machine B and close that vnc session. Later on I decide to vnc back into machine B from machine A and nothing happens.

Looking at the processes on machine B the vncserver is still running but none of the kde stuff (like it was the first time).

The only way I have found to reconnect using vncviewer is to ssh into machine B and restart /etc/init.d/vncserver.

Is there some way to automaticlly restart a vnc session?

• 2 weeks later...

I know this isn't the answer you are looking for, but you shouldn't have to. I use vnc extensively and never have to do that. Something else is happening. Perhaps you should try to determine when the kde dies (llike maybe right after killing the connection to that vnc server) and read /var/log/syslog to see what happened on the server.

Also, are you using x0rfb (or whatever)? or are you just calling "vncserver" by the command line? The second is the way I do it and I'm just wondering because that is where most of my nix vnc experience lies.