when will there be option to list all the iso's not just cd1

Drutort

Ok, seems that there is no real way of doing this... but i think mandrake should get it working it should auto look for the other iso's that you point IF you are pointing to a directory which in fact it doesnt work...

I have the 3 iso's on my hd... and i have more then enough space

so i dont wish to make cds because ill do it when final is out.

the other way was talking about using an iso software that can mod an iso...

the problem is they said you can use winimage, which in fact it DOES NOT mod ISO's it works probably with other stuff BUT not ISO's it says so in the software...

the only other software that can mod is ultraIso but the shareware is limited to 300mb!!! that IS NOT GOOD...

the extraction process takes TOO LONG...

the solution should be that you should be able to point to all the ISO's

If you have linux installed and running it's very easy to acces the files in an iso image and manipulate the files ussing "loop". Here's the basic procedure:

1. First make a mount point anywhere you want; let's call it /tmp/iso:

# mkdir /tmp/iso

2. Next, mount the iso through the mount point using "loop":

# mount /<path to iso file including the full name of the iso> /tmp/iso -o loop

That's pretty much it. If you open /tmp/iso in konqueror, you will see all the files in the iso as if they were burned to a cd. If you open konqereor in superuser mode(from kmenu or from a console with: # konqueror), you can manipulate the files, add and delete, etc. To manipulate the files you want, you'll have to mount all three isos through three separate mount points and copy the rpm dierctories from cd 2 and 3 to cd1. When your done unmount all three iso images using:

# umount <mount point>

for each of the three isos that you mounted. There's no need for special software to manipulate isos if you have linux. You can do everything you need using the mount command and loop devices; it's one of the cooler things you can do in linux.

Edit: Hadn't tried this in a while and thought I'd give it a whirl with rc-1. The above method works but only gives read access to the iso files, i.e. you can't write to the iso file directly. The workaround is to do the above and then copy all the cd 1 files to a directory on your hard drive then copy the rpm directories from cd2 and 3 to the Mandrake directory on your hard drive from the cd1 copy.

to manipulate the files you want, you'll have to mount all three isos through three separate mount points and copy the rpm dierctories from cd 2 and 3 to cd1.

You cannot write in an ISO image. If you wanna create an iso mount the 3 isos then copy-paste the contents of the three isos in a temp directory. Then create an iso with this directory using mkisofs.

And the Mandrake installer should definitively look for the other isos .. that thing drives me nutS!!!!!!!!;paskjdf;rfd But only install KDE (don't select other packages) and that should work). After the first boot mount the three isos (fstab) and tell urpmi too look inthere instead of the cds. This is what I did to install other packages.

If you want more details let me know here .. I'll be glad to help you.

MOttS

Man, you catch my mistakes fast :wink: Question though, is it really necessary to create an iso after you add in the cd2 and 3 rpm directories to the cd 1 stuff? Haven't tried it but won't it install from the directory tree as modified?

:lol: I know because I tried like 1 week long to write in an iso with no success. Look:

http://mandrakeusers.org/viewtopic.php?t=3...=3468&highlight

The only problem is that you cannot add RPM2 and RPM3 next to RPM in cd1 because you cannot write in an iso image. So this is why you have to copy-paste the content of cd1 in a temp directory, add RPM2 (from cd2) and RPM3 (from cd3) next to RPM to finally make an iso image (mkisofs) out of this temp dir. The MDK installer _should_ detect RPM2 and RPM3 now and allow you to install more packages. .. _should_ because I didn't try but I have read somewhere that it works.

MOttS

pmpatrick, I didn't try to let the Mandrake install look into a directory (not an iso) containing cd1 + RPM2 and RPM3... so this is why I told Drutort to make an ISO image out of it. But that worth the check ..

Drutort .. before to create an ISO out of the temp dir, try to install with it first. If it doesn't work then I guess the MDK install is really stupid... :lol:

MOttS

In the interests of science, I just tried it and the install program loaded from the directory where I copied all the files so I guess it works without making an iso image. Didn't do a full install though; will try that later if I have time.

God .. you are fast! :)

So the MDK installer isn't too stupid.:roll:

MOttS

is that with the 9.2rc1??

because in windows... and man i cant believe just for a stupid GUI they freaken all want MONEY FOR IT!!

why the hell do you need 23453454353 of the same program to do the SAME THING isnt 1 good full featured iso app good enough?

i found like 10 at least... and everyone one of them is shareware!!

and you can do all this free in linux?

BTW I did it with using one of the programs.... and i got the error that it could not find "/Mandrake/base/"

even though it had read the iso that i had made...

is that the problem with windows or the software? btw its been too long i forgot lots of stuff... is linux case sensitive in all cases? even like iso? do you think that could have been problem?

if that some how screwed up then I dont know how that could be fixed? as none of the software have any options....

btw windows could have screwed up the files when i exacted the RPM2/3

you know why? maybe one of the settings that i turned off for NTFS or in general for file systems? like the name stuff? I might have not exactly sure.... but i dont think so since i reformated so many times i forget on which install i did what LOL :lol:

and then put it into the first cd iso in the right place of course...

also i tried to have all the files exacted and point to the dir it didnt work... who knows what the problem is...

if you get a chance to do it through windows (XP) tell me if it works.... if you got the time ;)

problem is installing just with first cd is quite limiting....

i got no doc's nothing LOL when i intall normally i can use all the GUI and the web there to find all that i need ;)

i guess im also spoiled with GUI's :

so i only got to install no packages and only the with X and doc's which i dont see not 1 doc :

so i got X and i got to go stuff through command prompts etc.. hehe

i find my self pretty well using GUI's etc if i wouldnt have stoped using linux for some time i would have been a lot better keeping in t ouch but i had too many other things...

at the time i stoped i got to the point of recompiling and optimizing kernel and other software etc...

linux is fun so long as you got hte GUI to help ;) and the doc's and the web hehe

without those person who is some what noobish is in trouble for sure hehe

BTW i cant wait to get AA (america's army) installed from the website so far they say its running a lot better then windows and i would hope so :D