Problem within LILO with booting WinXP

Linux_Fan

Ok, here's some things to try..

1. Post your /etc/lilo.conf file here.

2. Post the contents of your boot.ini here. It's just a text file. If you can't see it for some reason, you may need to open a file window and go to Tools/folder options/view and turn on the option that lets you see extensions and allows you to view hidden files.

Start with that and then we can pick this apart. However, if you look at boot.ini you will see it defines where each partition is. You can remove the windows 98 entry and put it in lilo (avoids the double-selection). Since XP is the only option left, it will probably just skip the bootloader screen.

What is happening is that lilo boots XP and XP runs its bootloader. Whether this is related to your autocheck problem, who knows? :)

Another thing to do just to be sure, is add the XP partition to your /etc/fstab file so it is auto mounted.

Then run lilo again to make sure lilo contains the right settings in the MBR.

OK, I'm back at the point where I installed WinXP succesfully. The situation now is when I start my machine the MS boot-loader appears. From there I can start either WinXP or Win98 without problems.

It seems that, for some reason, MS claims the MBR for booting WinXP (?), because I had to use FixMBR (and afterwards unhide the NTFS partition) to bring back WinXP alive.

How can I make it possible to use LiLo to boot Linux, WinXP or Win98? What I do now for sure is that simply using the command /SBIN/LiLo is not enough.