WineX errors in SuSE 8.2

Guest JaseP

I'm getting errors running WineX 3.1 in SuSE 8.2 Professional. I get the pthreads error - about needing to increase the stack. In addition, when I use the -use-pthreads yes switch, I get an error regarding not more than one user using wine...

I changed the name of the machine to a different name than the default... could that be part of the source of my problem???

Native games run fine (those that I have gotten installed anyway). I haven't tried switching back to WineX 2.2, which may solve the pthreads problem, but I don't think it will resolve the user problem.

I even tried an edit to the winex3 script, and that doesn't help (I'm not doing it right).

Any suggestions on where I look to fix WineX3 in SuSE???

The errors I get are (user info stripped out):

> ls

GameData Install JediOutcast.exe

> winex3 JediOutcast

Your system requires the use of pthreads but the maximum system allowed stack size of 2052 kB may be too small for some games

wine: '/home/xxxxxx/.transgaming/wineserver-xxxxxx' must not be accessible by other users

> winex3 JediOutcast -use-pthreads yes

wine: '/home/jase/.transgaming/wineserver-xxxxxx' must not be accessible by other users

>

When I uninstalled WineX then re-installed it, and removed all my transgaming stuff from my user directory, I was able to install Jedi Outcast, and play for a little bit. It seems that as soon as it tries to write to the directory after that is when I get my errors... Including crashing while running... curious.

Perhaps someone knows how I could solve this???

Well, It's a permissions problem of some sort. I can't figure out how exactly. All I know is that I can't write to my directory in WineX, it crashes out. When I chang ethe permissions in the directory (the whole account really) to only permit my user od to write to the directory, then WineX works (until it attempts to write to the hard drive).

Does anyone know how to set permissions for a program that give it write permissions to a user's account???

Ok, yet another experiment done...

I tried taking a FAT32 partition and making it a user's partition so that user could run WineX in an envirnment where there will be no permissions problems (a brief attempt at running a win executable from a Fat32 partition proved good except that I had to delete my .transgaming directory every time becaue WineX couldn't see the one file within it).

Is there any way to force SuSE to use a FAT32 partition for a users directory, or in the alternative to force a symlink to the FAT32 partition and move the .transgaming directory there (actually, I mean move the .transgaming directory first and them symlink to it placing that link in the users directory)???

I think that might solve my problem. I'm not sure though.

OK,...

Another update...

JKII seems to be the only recent previously working game that is "broken" by SuSE 8.2 and WineX 3.1. WineX support in SuSE is just not as good as it was in Mandrake. Some things work. Others not. No rhyme or reason.

R.T.C. Wolfenstein works (I was never able to get the Linux native running in Mandrake and lost the Hard Drive with the 70 MB download,... It bloweded up). So does Fallout 1 & 2. I didn't get Birth of the Federation running yet, but hardly tried. WineX 2.2 doesn't work well, even with its own User... Starcraft works like a dream. Voyager Elite Force works also.