NTP is great.... or is it? :(

Vdubjunkie

... and on to the next issue.

I installed NTP. It was great. All my boxes were synched and it had a drift file... I told it to set the hardware clock after my system clock...

Then I rebooted my server, and the time is off by many hours.

My problem is that I don't know whether my MST is supposed to take into account the time shift, or what I am supposed to have my system time set to GMT for synching with the time servers.

Time servers in my local area seem to serve the time as GMT or maybe it was EST. I forget now. But it is definitely NOT local time. Nothing I find on the net seems to address this issue.

heeeeeelp.... :x

chances are good I've got that wizdrake stuff.. i guess if it comes to it I'll do it, but that sure would suck. Using a gui just because nobody out there documented how the relationship between your NTP time and system time is affected by time zones.

sorry if it doesn't seem wholehearted, but I do appreciate the info.

Now, does anybody else out there know what (or even where I could find) the deal is with this? :roll:

Alright, I got ntp working ok again.. god knows what may happen when I reboot. That will happen soon as I need to remove a drive from the machine any time I have the time.

However, even though the machines receiving ntp time from my server are cool and displaying MST accurate time, my server refuses to do anything but display EDT time. The :evil: freaking :evil: --help for the "date" command absolutely SUCKS, and I'm trying to change time zone with that, but it won't work.

Even if I wanted to give in and use a waste of space gui tool to set it, I remembered that when I last tried to urpmi one of those common all in one gui config centers it failed for some stupid reason. Probably I need to add more urpmi media, but for god sake, why can't I just go "date -s +MST" ? After all we should be able to do all this stuff from a terminal.

aaaaaaagh!!!!!!! :x

very cool. Thanks paleo.

tzselect set my time zone....

i guess. the "date" command doesn't seem to care what my TZ is. It still says EDT :evil:

oh well. good enough for the girls I went with before being marr.... uh.. nevermind. anyway...

I guess I'll just give up that battle in favor of other necessities for the time being. :roll: