bcm4400 nic in debian?

Anyone using this nic with debian, and if; how did you do it?

My situation:

I have installed the woody rel. with 2.4.18 kernel (thanks DOlson) and i have also got the drivers from manufacturers website(via my working MDK). When i first tried to install the drivers by 'make', it needed the kernel source tree. OK, I somehow figured out how to get it ( by guessing what to apt-get install) and i found out I had to untar it. Then i found out that the makefile was looking for /usr/src/linux, so i made a symlink 'linux' pointing to /usr/src/'kernelwhatever' (im at work now and dont have all details...). This time the installer got further, but complained about a 'dontrememberthename'.h file wich i could not find in the kernel-source dir.

I did some googling and found http://packages.debian.org/unstable/misc/b...400-source.html

What is this make-kpkg actually. I have tried the apt-get ofcourse, but right now i feel that i need some hints to get further...

Have to correct myself abit ; I have a 2.4.18-bf24 kernel. I discovered this was a different kernel than just 2.4.18 after a round with:

make mrproper > copy /boot/config > make oldconfig

enter,enter.......,enter > make dep

This was supposed to give me the file that i missed: modversions.h

Then i tried to 'make' driver and things seemed to work. But when trying to insmod the bcm4400.o the following came up: The module is compiled for kernel 2.4.18, and the current kernel is 2.4.18-bf24.

My first thought (well maybe the second) was to do this over with the 2.4.18-bf24 kernel source, but this I could not find. I have two CD's (Woody). Will i find this kernel source on one of these CD's, can i somehow download it and burn them on a CD and install this way?

Talking to myself again; found out that the 2.4.18-bf2.4 kernel is compiled image for boot floppies, so i guess i will have to compile the 2.4.18 and boot from this. Has anyone got a link to to a step by step description that will apply?

Thanks cybrjackle. I have been looking abit into your excellent list of links in the sticky post, its just that theres so much information and not always easy to sort out what is relevant, and as im cut off internet when booting debian it is good to get some hints along the road.

Im now running a 2.4.22 kernel :lol: Sound works, apm works, but still trouble with nic :cry: (or dhcp configuration?). The compilation of the driver seems to run ok, and even the insmod seems to be ok. /var/log/messages says the card is detected. then trying both netconf and dpkg-reconfigure etherconf the nic just dont seem to be working. Trying to ping other computers gives 'network unreacable'. I have tried to install both pump and dhcpcd.

First of all: how do i get the nic detected at startup? Now i go to the dir where the bcm4400.o file is and do insmod bcm4400.o after bootup to get the module in the kernel. lsmod then shows the bcm4400. I've tried different input in the /etc/modules wich didnt work.

I would be grateful for any help on this!

From the "Old Docs" section :

If you've downloaded a driver from the net and compiled it yourself (or if it came precompiled for your kernel version), move it to the appropriate sub directory of '/lib/modules/[kernel version]/'. If you can't figure out which one to use, choose 'misc'.

Run depmod -a to let the system know about the new module.

Next: inserting a line in /etc/modules

bcm4400

(Name of driver without extension)

Next: reboot, and the module for the driver was loaded.

To get DHCP running I did a lot of configuring in both dpkg-reconfigure eherconf and netconf (in linuxconf). I dont know wheter any of this was neccessary. The last ting i did before i got the connection up was to uninstall pump, then reinstall it and run

pump -i eth0

There it was...