Problems of a Happy Newbie

Guest Reader

Guest Reader

I installed Mandrake 9.1 a week ago and thanks to the excellent tutorials of Mandrake Wilson and Linux Online, which I found out about on this board, I have just about everything up and running great.

Today I decided to update my shiny new OS from the command line and everything went fine except for an error message at the end of the install. As I said, I'm a newbie, and at this point I don't know how to capture an image of the terminal, but since it was short I'll type it out:

"Checking configuration sanity for Apache2.0: Syntax error on line 27 of /etc/httpd/conf/httpd2.conf:

Cannot load /etc/httpd/2.0/modules/mod_log_config.so into server: /etc/httpd/2.0/modules/mod_log_config.so: undefined symbol: ap_escape_logitem

error: execution of % post scriptlet from apache2-modules-2.0.47-1.1mdk failed, exit status 1

36: apache2-mod-ssl

37: apache2

38: nfs-utils-clients

39: liliphp_common430"

When I retried the update a second time, it said everything was already installed.

I installed Apache when I installed the distro, but I haven't used it at this point, and frankly I wouldn't know how to configure it anyway at this point in my Linux career.

Secondly, I have a bit of a nit-picking issue about playing audio cd's. I use the Gnome desktop, by the way. After installing the cd-reader plugin, I can play audio cd's with XMMS just fine on my read-only cdrom player. However, no other player (including terminal-based players) will play audio on my read-only player. although they do run the cd--there's just no sound. Do they need something like that cd-read plugin for XMMS also?

By the way, my cd-rw (/dev/scd0) will play audio cd's fine. The problem is only with my regular cdrom (/dev/hdd).

I am no computer whiz, just a gaming, music and video fanatic. I can accomplish a lot on my own, but this has me stumped. Any help will be much appreciated.

Guest Reader

Hmm, ran out of space. Well, here's some of my system specs:

MSI K7T Turbo2 mainboard(VIA KT133A chipset with AC'97 onboard audio)

AMD Athlon 1800+ XP cpu

256MB sdram

Geforce 4 Ti-4200 64mb

LG 12x8x32x cd-rw

SAT 52x max cdrom

Thomson RCA cable modem (DCM315)

I also dual-boot with 98SE because of the gaming thing.

I hope my problems aren't too trivial. I'm positive I'll have others. I put a hell of a lot of time and effort into getting my sound and modem to work, among other things, including figuring out how to get NVIDIA drivers installed without asking for any help. I intend to stick with Linux, and with support from the community I may eventually be of some help myself. Thanks in advance.

well first off welcome to linux, freedom, and choice - also welcome to the board! It's always great "meeting" newbies who are potential top posters who enjoy a good chat or debate around here (keeps it interesting).

About Apache - if you aren't using it <shrug> I wouldn't worry for now.

The audio problem, however, is really strange. I began typing this post thinking "this guy needs an audio cable going from the drive to the soundcard" but then I remembered you saying it does work in that drive for xmms!

OK

• Are you using supermount? (Go to the CLI - command line interface- and type "cat /etc/fstab" and post the results here)

[*]Do you get any error messages?

[*]Does your sound work for other things other than cd audio, like games or mp3's?

• I have a feeling supermount is the culprit. Hang in there - we'll solve this...

Guest Reader

/dev/hda5 / ext3 defaults 1 1

none /dev/pts devpts mode=0620 0 0

/dev/hda7 /home ext3 defaults 1 2

none /mnt/cdrom supermount dev=/dev/scd0,fs=auto,ro,--,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0

none /mnt/cdrom2 supermount dev=/dev/hdd,fs=auto,ro,--,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0

none /mnt/floppy supermount dev=/dev/fd0,fs=auto,--,iocharset=iso8859-1,sync,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0

/dev/hda1 /mnt/windows vfat iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0

none /proc proc defaults 0 0

/dev/hda6 swap swap defaults 0 0

It took me this long to figure out how to paste information from the terminal. Sometimes just trying something is more effective than reading reams of documentation.

Thanks for the response. Sound works fine in games, mp3's, movies, everything except where I stated in my post. Before I change anything in /etc/fstab/, please tell me how to back it up first. I'll be standing by. :D

In a terminal, type

kwrite /etc/fstab

Then just select "Save As", and save it under a different filename in your home directory.

That's all you need to do to back it up.

To disable supermount, in a terminal:

Type "supermount -i disable"

To re-enable it if you determine supermount is not the culprit, type "supermount -i enable".

Guest Reader

Well, that was about as much fun as a night in a Syrian strip bar.

Supermount wasn't my problem. In fact, when I disabled supermount, neither xmms nor mplayer would work any more. Then, after re-enabling supermount, I spent the next hour getting them to work again. Even after restoring my back-up fstab, the system monitor indicated "device busy" or some such and i had to reconfigure both players to get them unstuck. I also reconfigured my hardware--I'm still not sure what did the trick, but something did. Whew!--dodged a bullet. I plan to reformat and reinstall when Mandrake 9.2 final is released--mainly so I can decrease the size of my Windows partition, but I really didn't want to do it before then. Anywa, the song remains the same, so I'm open for suggestions. :?:

I've discovered that I can listen to audio with cdplayer and grip by plugging headphones directly into the headphone jack on my cdrom drive. This seems to be the same problem that was solved

by adding the digital audio plugin for xmms. Does anyone know if there is a similar solution or otherwise for these players? :?:

I think satic's first instinct was right. IIRC cd-read for xmms is for digital audio extraction, i.e. you don't need a cable running from the drive to the sound card for it to play. Check your drive and see if you have that cable running to the sound card. My guess is you'll see the cable for the cdrw and see no cable for your regular cdrom.

Allright. A quick mixer check shows everything hunky-dory.

I cracked open the case and sure enough--no patch cable. I called the shop and was promised a free one when I pick up my new hard drive. Thanks all.