festival!!!! text to speech impossible!

Guest technicka

Guest technicka

I have a strong disdain for festival text to speech.

This beast is freaking impossible to install and I really need help if anyone can provide it.

When I was messing with 9.0 last year this was the death of my machine. This simple little f'ing program crashed my computer! It was because of the glib version conflict mess!

After very much missing my readmeplease for windows reading back webpages to me I decided I need to get this festival crap installed.

So here we are, round two.

I have downloaded all 5 packages they have required me to download

extracted them into the correct directories. Noticed I was missing gnu make, so installed that from the mandrake cd.

i do a ./configure it runs through about 5 mins of garbage on teh screen (that's what it looks like to me at this point!) and then at the end I get this error:

ib -leststring -lcurses -ldl -lm -lstdc++

/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lcurses

collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

gmake[3]: *** [xml_example] Error 1

xml example status: FAILED

gmake[2]: *** [xml_module_rebuild] Error 1

so I searched for curses with the rpm finder and came up with ncurses...but I think it's looking for lcurses...?

Can anyone help me through this install as I am having the most trouble right now and am losing faith in linux because of this assinine install system.

It's looking for ncurses. -lcurses is the GNU c compiler (gcc)'s way of using a switch.. i.e. it's like -l curses

ib -leststring -lcurses -ldl -lm -lstdc++

is running ib and linking (-l) eststring, curses, dl, m, and stdc++.

Try installing ncurses and then try again. Let us all know if this does the trick!

Guest technicka

duh!

I did not mention that i'm instlaling on 9.1 so I would very much appreciate the rpms for 9.1.

Where can I find them.. I didn't see them on the download page.

I will try the rpm's before attempting to mess up my system further!

Guest technicka

yes..! I got it working.

Thanks for the rpms everyone. it made installing a breeze. Even though I installed the main app,.. it kept exiting the rpm install because it needed another dependancy.. how annoying! I am really ticked off that windows installs are so easy and that there have been so many different install types for linux and they all suck in my opionion. But thats how it goes.

After getting it installed I found that there really are no good gui's. The tckl/festival one is in beta,.. There is also one for the konqueror browser,.. but they are all lacking features that microsoft already has. Speed of voice, tone and the like. It won't even read the clipboard..

Well.. basically it sucks and was a waste of time installing. Plus the characters all sound british and it really annoys me to here thier voices.

I wonder if the Nautral voices from ibm has been released for linux yet?

Well festival is free and you can get different voice packs for it.

And you can create you own voice pack for it if you wanted too.

IBM has impressive text to sound software you may have to pay an impressive price for it.

You might want to try Embrola or even just use their voices for Festival.

There's not much in the way of free TTS software. However, if your willing to spend some money I think one of the following might be more to your liking:

Babel Technologies - Bright Speech

AT&T - Natural Voices (the best I've heard so far)

Scan Soft - Realspeak

For a listing of many different speech synthesizers try:

http://www.disc2.dk/tools/SGsurvey.html

http://www.speech.cs.cmu.edu/comp.speech/S...tion5/Q5.5.html

A good listing with quick examples of speech can be found at:

http://www.ims.uni-stuttgart.de/~moehler/s...h/examples.html

Glitz.