Need Tutorial for a simple Network (Lan) MDK 9.0

Guest mhbell

Guest mhbell

Hello Everyone

I am looking for a simple network tutorial to network 3 Windows Box's and 1 MDK 9.0 Linux Machine. I need to be able to access the Windows machines from the Linux machine But the Windows machines do not have to access the Linux machine. I want just a simple LAN nothing fancy. All of the machines are hooked to a Router Hub and the routers DHCP assigns the IP address to each machine. I do not care about a Firewall as none of the machines on the Lan will be going outside of the Lan. Since it is a Home office enviroment security is not a problem. I use to have a tutorial for such a simple network (Lan) which had the SMB Conf files and everything else for one to get set up. There was also a Tutorial How to network MDK and windows. I cant find any of those now. Anybody got any suggestions? Comment? What do you use?

M H Bell

--------------------

Mel

Registered Linux

Welcome!

Use samba on the linux box. You only need the samba client if the win boxes aren't going to the lin box. Otherwise you'll need the samba server stuff I believe (correct me if I'm wrong gurus!)

Samba is really easy to setup. No need for manual configs - It should all be in the control center. If I were you, I'd get my hands on 9.1 though, for a couple of reasons.

Guest mhbell
Welcome!

Use samba on the linux box. You only need the samba client if the win boxes aren't going to the lin box. Otherwise you'll need the samba server stuff I believe (correct me if I'm wrong gurus!)

Samba is really easy to setup. No need for manual configs - It should all be in the control center. If I were you, I'd get my hands on 9.1 though, for a couple of reasons.

Thanks for the reply. I already have 9.1 but for some reason it won't install on my machines, It hangs while finding Module dependencies. But 9.0 installs without a problem.

Mel

:(

Guest FenestraeNunquam

static wrote:

If I were you, I'd get my hands on 9.1 though, for a couple of reasons.

why ? don't leave us hanging... :?

I'm also interested in doing something like this, and I have a similar setup as mhbell.

No one else seems to care about this thread :'(

OK about 9.1 - It looks 10 times better (I know - just aesthetics) the control center has some improvements, newer packages means better security/stability/bugfixes, my scanner worked for the first time (in fact - for the first time ever for me in linux EVREYTHING worked outta the box - only dvd needed to be setup for movies - took 10 seconds!) Obviously mel is screwed for 9.1 though, but otherwise I recommend it. (I'm going 9.2 tonight!)

About the network - what version of windows are the boxes running? I use samba through the control center and a switch to connect the machines at 100 mbit/sec ; full duplex (aka 100/full). This is useful for small networks not sharing the internet to transfer large files quickly.

When I have a better idea of the versions of windows, I should be able to help more (you too FN if you want help!) Apparently the windows newer than 98 use CIFS instead of SMB, so you need certain kernel options enabled I believe, as well as the newest samba pkgs. (Gurus? Where are you?)

Guest FenestraeNunquam
No one else seems to care about this thread :'(

we want static ! we want static !

Seriously, I like your posts/tutorials and I think you should write a book such as Mandrake Linux for Dummies...

I don't want to steal mhbell's thread, but I have win2000, but I want to do the opposite of mhbell: I want the mandrake 9.0 box to be available to the win2k box, and I guess vice-versa also.

First I have to get a good install of 9.0. See this thread:

http://www.mandrakeusers.org/viewtopic.php?t=7543

Others are already helping me on that one, static. Maybe I should just install 9.1 and forget 9.0.

OK well for 2000+ (incl. xp obviously) you'll have to give me a bit of time because I need to get it right - so far, despite having obvious things like directory permission correct, I can't write to the linux box at all. But I can read from it... gimme a week! I'm ah-trying!

(Thanks for the compliments - anything I can do to help - linux deserves classy gentlemen <and women> like yourselves)