After inserting a DVD, an option opening it?

Kieth

What a shame… I suppose the same is true for Gnome then. Reading your question the first time I saw it, I hoped some answer would give a hint at the cure for this same problem on the Gnome side :(

There are so many times when I just wish I could umount/mount the device using the panel. Instead of that, there are only options for playing or ejecting the media, and I end up opening a terminal and running the umount command the old way…

Yves.

Today, I tried something. Would you believe that I didn't have to mount the device to play a music CD? I put it in, but the Device Notifier didn't give me any options, as it wasn't mounted. I opened up Xine, pressed the play "CD" button, and. . . music!!

Would you believe that I didn't have to mount the device to play a music CD?

Factly, I wouldn't believe you were able to mount an audioCD.

They have just RAW data, without any filesystem and as such they aren't mountable!

Mixed mode CD's are a different story, but still the mountable part is the data one, not the audio one, and they aren't RedBook compliant/ true audioCD's.

You can only "mount" an audioCD using KDE's or Gnome's virtual filesystem- not a real mount, that is.