Metisse? [solved]

Chris H

I decided to move away from my mandriva installation on one partition as I know have a livecd courtesy of lxf mag here in the uk.

So the brown linux on my other partition has been replaced with a shiny new 2009/KDE4 installation.

I have not enabled compiz as it's always been cpu intensive on my setup. However, as an alternative is Metisse any good? I've tried it before but never got past the learning curve. There must be some benefit to having it running.

On a similar note enabling metisse from this install leads to a wildly flashing screen on login followed by a blue background with the 9 pane switcher and nowt else. Using drak3d to go back to a normal desktop is the only option (don't want to enable compiz).

Any solution to the problem and has anyone got a good experience or review of metisse?

Ta.

I've always found that Metisse is much more oriented towards productivity than Compiz is. But I'm a keyboard-intensive user, and I don't have time to decipher fvwm's config files to setup all the shortcuts I want. That's the main reason I stick with Compiz so far (it has a GUI where you enable the modules that will give you the shortcuts you want).

That said, I find that Metisse basic features are better thought out than Compiz', and all it lacks compared to Compiz is users' contributions, if possible at all.

Yves.

I liked it.

Less flashy than compiz, but with some amazing effects and functionality.

Unfortunately it's as cpu hungry if not more than compiz and my laptop just overheated after 10 mins of metisse magic :sad:

Shame as this is the first kernel that I could get it working properly on.