Kernel panic troubles

aRTee

Ok, this is really starting to get annoying...

Yesterday evening I wanted to compress a dvd, with dvd::rip.

Nice tool, used it before too...

This time around, after 20 minutes or so, the kernel panic-ed. Flashing keyboard lights, nothing moving, dead in the water.

Reboot.

Repeat; I had been copying cdroms to the harddrive at the same time, thought it may be that something was not so okay in the chipset that only shows after quite some time. So no copying at the same time..

Still got a kernel panic. Rhhaaa!!

Next try, I figure, maybe it has to do with the Athlon power reduction commands that I put in /etc/rc.local (see my site for more info), so took that out. Try again.

Everything fine. So I start dvd::rip to compress, then copy the discs to the harddrive (different partition then where dvd::rip was doing its thing).

It was nicely working, so in the end I went to bed. (Pass 1 of 2, 4:50 left....)

This morning I checked, keyboard lights were on, nothing on the monitor, no response whatsoever...

So my questions:

which logs do I look at tonight when I restart the machine (should I backup certain logs before they get overwritten, don't suppose so, but in any case)?

How do I find out what the problem is?

And why the hell can a normal program crash the kernel?????

[edit] before going to bed I did turn off most of the things I had running, opera, evolution, vnc, etc; basically all that was left were kde with gkrellm, some konsoles and dvd::rip.

which logs do I look at tonight when I restart the machine (should I backup certain logs before they get overwritten, don't suppose so, but in any case)?

If it was a sudden crash you won't see any useful information in any log (but you can try to take a look to /var/log/messages). Also if you are really lucky you'll find a core dump with loads of information on it.

How do I find out what the problem is?

And why the hell can a normal program crash the kernel?????

Probably it is not a kernel problem 'per se' but a particular unstable or not*enough*developed driver :(

If it was a sudden crash you won't see any useful information in any log (but you can try to take a look to /var/log/messages). Also if you are really lucky you'll find a core dump with loads of information on it.

Will have a look at that tonight.

Probably it is not a kernel problem 'per se' but a particular unstable or not*enough*developed driver

Well, let's have a look at what drivers were used and how. Since I turned off all other stuff, except kde, gkrellm and dvd::rip, the only drivers in use were the nvidia driver (usual suspect), lmsensors, the ata/ide driver, usb driver (mouse),...

Other drivers loaded were: ethernet nic driver (realtek), audio driver (emu10k1), webcam driver, and then some.

But apart from using dvd::rip which by the way I have used once before, I did nothing new or even remotely taxing for the system.

It could be related to the sblive+VIA + large files bug that was around, and I may not have had the same problem that one time before now when I used dvd::rip since then I just had one disk on the first ide channel, now I have two and I am using the second/slave for this.....

Also, some websurfing showed that a new a7v333 bios is out, I'm on 1015 and 1017 went final in May; who knows that may also help....

As a last thing, it may have to do with the ridiculous temperatures; then again, 28degC is hot for Switzerland, but not for other parts of the world where they do have computers...

As a last thing, it may have to do with the ridiculous temperatures; then again, 28degC is hot for Switzerland, but not for other parts of the world where they do have computers...

I don't think so :P , I'm suffering temperatures of 40ºC and above with high degrees of humidity without any problem. My three computers are up and running all the week without complaints :)

Here's the last part from my logs, it just ends like this:

Aug 13 05:04:02 zurich kernel: cdrom: open failed.

Aug 13 18:13:43 zurich syslogd 1.4.1: restart.

So it tried to open the cd drawer I guess, don't know what made it crash though.... can't suppose it's that. But in any case, the next line is the first one that got written when rebooting just now.

Anything else I can have a look at??

I just went trough the log of dvd::rip, but nothing interesting there either.

Except that I could tell it finished the first pass with transcode...

Tyme, what do you mean, same dvd? No I'm transcoding a different one now..

And there was no disc in any drive btw, ripped it to the harddrive.

Ah, I see,...

Well, I ripped the dvd without any problem, and I can play the files that got created as well.

And beside that, I would hate to think that it would be a normal program that crashes linux....

In any case, just to give you guys an update, I tried again, and this time the compression crashed close to 20% (I know, it crashed right when I was looking but not touching..).

I rebooted, then set the cpu to normal speed.

Mind you, I'd been running without any problem at 154x13.5=~2GHz instead of 133x15=2GHz (Athlon 2400+ which runs at 2GHz).

I just read today that a new bios is available for my board, and one person commented that for him it meant he could finally run his machine in a stable manner at 166MHz fsb... so I just thought: I'm not overclocking the cpu core, but what the heck, I might as well first go back to stock speed on all, including fsb....

Since then it's passed 25%, so far so good.

Next steps will be to put stuff only on the first hd (master), and then see if it hangs in there, after that I will do the same, but without the slave drive even attached, after that I will flash the bios.

If that doesn't work, I may rip out my sblive (or just unload the module, would that be enough??), since there was quite a bit of talk on sblive5.1 on via based mobos...

Well what do you know, I ran with standard fsb settings, and it completed around 6:30 this morning (taking the normal 5+5 hours..).

Only one difference, I selected 'transcode' instead of 'transcode+split', but the first time when I selected the latter and things went sour, it never got to the split part anyway..

Today I'm having it run 'transcode+split' anyway, just to check. Will let you know when I get home.

So far, it looks like my system isn't as stable as I thought, so for the moment I'll keep to stock speeds.

And I'll flash the bios when I get around to it.

Update: everything went fine, it finished without any problems.

Apart from the fact that the end result is not ok (audio is completely wrong), but that's a software problem.

But then, just now, I was burning a cd on a new burner (from a colleague), and I had another crash.... Rhaa!