comments, suggestions, questions..

tyme

i've added (as of yet small) linux question/answer page on my website, check it out: http://www.geektyme.org/linux.html and let me know what you think. Also, any suggested questions to add to it would be great.

p.s.-i do plan to add to it, so please give any suggestions you might have :)

Um, your a ho.....

What distribution do you run?

I'm a distro-ho, I tend to jump around from one to the next with no real warning and for no good reason. I've used: Caldera OpenLinux (not sure if it was called that when I used it, but it was the easiest to install), Mandrake Linux (I stuck with this one the longest), Gentoo Linux (fun, but compiling every program gets tedious), and currently I'm running Arch Linux (prebuild, well-optimized-i686-distro.).

Believe it or not, I think OpenLinux was my first install? Wasn't it a yellow box or something? I think I have it in my basement still....

Oh, you want suggestions. Just a few to ADD!

Why Linux?

Linux is COOL!  It's freely downloadable, secure and very stable.  I can do everything in Linux that I could do with Windows and more.  Linux is modular and infinitely customizable.

Security

Software updates, security updates and bug fixes are available in real time.  Linux and most of the software available for it is open source, there are thousands of people worldwide pouring over source code, looking for bugs and submitting fixes daily.

Cost of ownership

Many Linux distributions are available for free download or you can order a copy on the internet for a couple bucks.  These free or cheap versions of Linux come with no manual but help is as close as the internet newsgroups.  When you buy the boxed version of Linux in the store, you're actually paying for the manual, technical support and any extra or commercial software that may be included.  Most software available for Linux is free (Open Source), however if you find a Linux distribution that you really like, support the company by buying a copy or donating funds.

Stability

Linux is a true multi-user, multitasking operating system.  It's very stable and rarely needs to be rebooted.  An application may crash once in a while but it will not bring down the entire system.  While no operating system is "crash proof", in general it's extremely difficult to crash a Linux machine.  With Linux you won't have to deal with Alt-Ctrl-Delete, Blue Screen of Death, Scandisk-Defrag, virus's or expensive upgrades.

I ripped those off from another site. :oops:

man, i didn't think i was going to get any comments at all!

good suggestions, but i'm sorta keeping it a little un-technical and easily understood by basically anyone who can figure out how to surf the internet and use Windows. which means i have to assume my audience if a bunch of morons ;-) j/k! that and i'm attempting to avoid the zealot attitude.

but i'll look at your suggestions and see if they can inspire me to write some more or change some things or something...

FINE, :( j/k

This is still my favorite.

Why Linux?

Linux is COOL! It's freely downloadable, secure and very stable. I can do everything in Linux that I could do with Windows and more. Linux is modular and infinitely customizable.[/b]

nope, side panels are staying the way they are :-P i want to keep it pretty uniform...besides, i was looking for comments on the linux write up ;-) i have a thread over in off-topic about the page i general... :-P

i might whiten (er, lighten?) the "cracked screen" affect a bit, so it's not so obtrusive.

besides, i was looking for comments on the linux write up ;-)  .

Sorry...but then I do have the attention span of a.... erm...

i might whiten (er, lighten?) the "cracked screen" affect a bit, so it's not so obtrusive.

I think the motion is also a problem... how about a watermark?

I will now shut up... (sidles off to the offtopic discussion) :oops:

:-P

it's actually a rather simple page compared to my previous pages (just saying). the only real effect is that background not scrolling when you scroll the page...other than that, it's rather simple i think.

spanish inquisition? the first question was to find out if it made it hard to read the text...someone else commented on that, so i was curious. the rest of it i thought was just a discussion :huh: