Framrates in SuSE with latest nVidia Drivers

Guest JaseP

I have just switched to SuSE 8.2 from my beloved Mandrake 8.2. I did so because I coulnd't reliably get a retail copy of Mandrake at a local store... which I can for SuSE.

At any rate, my framerates are somewhat troubling in SuSE. I get something like 700-900 FPS in glxgears with my nVidia GeForce4 MX440 with my P4 2.4 GHz system... Sometimes higher.

I think something is interfering with my framerates.

Sometimes my framerates are high, other times, they crawl. Does anyone have any idea what it may be? I also have no graphical windows in WineX or the Loki installers (text only). I thought I read somewhere that SuSE has a thing, some library or app, loaded by default that interferes with Wine and WineX. Has anyone heard of this???

As far as wine/X don't know,

SuSE & FPS were alway's slow no matter what I did, so if you ever find out why, let me know. Out of all the distros I used, I ran SuSE the most through the years and FPS were alway's slow, don't know why. :lol:

Some say that FPS don't matter, I don't know. :wink:

I just spied an article that describes SuSE's lack of nVidia support. It seems that you need to manually re-edit the XF86Config-4 file to include AGP support, since it is not supported out of box by SuSE.

Maybe that will help. I also recall seeing a review of RedHat 9 that indicated that a certain library or file needed to be deactivated in order to speed up graphics and Wine/WineX support. I think it was the recent review in Linux Journal. I will try to pick up a copy to see if this same problem doesn't exist in SuSE.