konqueror in su mode in 2009.0

RVDowning

I have also installed kde3, but it still doesn't work. After entering kdesu konqueror I get the following (each time):

Konqueror didn't close correctly. Would you like to restore session?

There is a Restore session, Do not restore, and Ask me later.

If I select "Restore session" I get an error popup that says: "URL cannot be listed devices:/"

If I click ok on that, I get a kongueror window up that is empty of content, and I can't get it to display anything.

At this point I click the "x" to close it.

I notice when logging out and logging back in again that there are choices (among others) of KDE and kd4. I wonder if KDE really means kde3 or whether are both really kde4. I would try doing a urpme of task-kde4, but since I can't get a backup to work, I'm afraid of totally hosing my system. This crap seems to be everywhere.

Does not the following work for you?

su -

root PW

konqueror -profile filemanagement

worked for me in 2009. It is of course for the file manager mode, you would have to change that for whatever mode you want.

I am going to reinstall, this time like AussieJohn, installing Gnome, and then install KDE3, KDE4 is a bit of a mess, and a lot of stuff just doesn't work, or work correctly with it. But more then likely I am going to go to Debian SID, or LinuxMint KDE CE, but I will give 2009 one more go

Edited by R.I.P

I have used a similar install as John has used to install KDE 3 on my test box. I first installed a very minimal system with icewm-light, then I installed task-kde3-3.5.10-2mdv2009.0 and kdebase-kdm-3.5.10-6mdv2009.0 with rpmdrake, this installed about 540 MB of software. This has been working fine for me all day, including kdesu. I'm only telling you this in case at some point you want to reinstall your system. :)

Here's some info from my system

[greg@halfway ~]$ rpm -qa |grep task-kde
task-kde3-3.5.10-2mdv2009.0
[greg@halfway ~]$ rpm -qa |grep kdm
kdebase-kdm-3.5.10-6mdv2009.0
mandriva-kdm-config-2009.0-8mdv2009.0
[greg@halfway ~]$ which kdesu
/opt/kde3/bin/kdesu

Now the problem you're having is that you have two kdesu binarys installed. One at /opt/kde3/bin/kdesu and another at /usr/lib/kde4/libexec/kdesu, which is not in your $PATH. The KDE devs have sort of hidden it because they no longer want you to use it, they want to use Policy Kit in the future releases.

As a quick hack you can (as root) do

ln -s /usr/lib/kde4/libexec/kdesu /usr/bin/kdesu

Please see bug #41575

If you have KDE4 installed as original then when you install the KDE3 stuff it is basically pushed back by the KDE4 setup so often you cannot get KDE3 stuff to run at all and if it does run it runs badly.

I am so disgusted with KDE4 that I now try to not talk about it because I get so ropeable about it and people can do without rants. In the future and in a calmer state of mind I may air my experiences of it.

Cheers. John.

Edited by AussieJohn