Best Way To Move To A Bigger HDD

Roodog

I cuurently dual boot Win98/Mdk 9.1 on a 15G HDD, but now have a brand new 20G drive as a 2nd drive. What is the best way to move Mdk from Drive A to Drive B? My current setup is /boot, / and /home - should I add /var and /usr to the new drive? Is Diskdrake the way to go, or should I do a fresh install on the new drive then add my current setup? I don't want to have to reinstall all updates. Thnx for any advice.

Dave

There are lots of ways to do this. Easiest might be to use drakbackup to back up everything ( its in mcc) Install MDK on your new drive, then grab the backup file from drakbackup. It should replace your entire setup.

You can restore to a larger partition with partimage but not a smaller one. However, your fstab and lilo.conf files will have to be edited because everything will be on different partitions when you transfer to the new drive and the old fstab and lilo.conf will be referencing the old partition structures. E.G. lilo.conf is now looking for your mandrake root partition on /dev/hdax where 'x'refers to the partition number for / on your current hard drive. If you have the 20GB slaved to the 15GB drive it would be /dev/hdb. If you restore mandrake to partitions on hdb, then lilo.conf would have to be edited to show the root partition to be /dev/hdbx or the system will not be bootable. All your fstab entries will have to be modified to reflect the new partitions that should be mounted. Failing to get this stuff right will result in an unbootable system.

Guest JaseP

pmpatrick is right. FSTAB entries are based on the actual hardware, not a "virtual device drive letter" as in Windoze,... so you can't just dup a disk and make it the primary in Linux... not easily at least...

Well, a little knowledge sure is a dangerous thing - I now have my Mdk system on hdc like I wanted, but lost my original setup on hda in the process.

I am unable to recover my original root partition. I copied backups to my win98 partition before I started, but am unable to restore from these. I was able to unpack the /home backup and overwrite the files so that I have the original /home partition.

I have partition images of both root and /home, but when I go into partimage all I see are fat 32 partitions. I'm totally lost now .... :cry:

Dave