2009.0: Cannot stop Numlock Server at startup

man8user

I prefer the OS not change the numlock state and leave it as it is from boot time. When I saw the numlock LED change twice during Mandriva boot time I tried to disable the numlock server. By disabling I mean using MCC --> System --> Manage System Service... and stopping it immediately and then disabling the "Start at Boot" option. However, on the next boot, the numlock server was back again flipping the LED.

Saw this behavior in another PC with 2009.0 on which there is no internet connection.

Is using MCC the right way to configure services or there is some other low level trick involved? While numlock is a minor annoyance to me I worry if I would be able to configure other important services when I would really need to do so.

Thanks.

Turning it off as you did should disable it (it's always worked for me anyways - none of my keyboards have numpads).

Do you have a BIOS setting for num lock? What is it set to?

Edited by tyme

I have installed the 2009.0 on desktops only. The one I am using now is 3 yrs old with Awards BIOS and it does not have NumLock control in BIOS. The one at work is also 3 yrs old but much more expensive Dell and I had kept that NumLock disabled in the BIOS there. The one at home now has internet connection, the office PC does not have internet. In both PCs I was unable to stop NumLock service.