Receiving email from outside with postfix?

Guest quakey

Guest quakey

Hi,

Could someone give me a pointer to how to receive email from outside with postfix? I can't seem to find good documentation on how to do that. The only thing that I figured out was to set the SMTP server to my ISP's so I could send mail to outside now.

I tried to send mail to one of my accouns on my linux box, but it never arrived. The message never got bounced back either. Please help me. Thank you.

1) Make sure your ISP doesn't block port 25 (non-business accounts of RoadRunner does those bastards).

2) Make sure port 25 is forwarding to your Linux server (e.g., using a Linksys router, advanced settings forwarding tab).

3) Make sure the MX records in DNS are forwarding to your IP address (assuming you have your own domain name) (e.g., 975Register.com has MXE that will forward MX records to your IP).

4) Make sure your domain name is setup as the destination in the Postfix configuration file.

5) Give 72 hours after updating your DNS record (step 3 above) for the change to take effect. This is the most difficult step of them all ...waiting.

How are your clients configured? What email clients are you using? I have used KMail with success in creating a "local" connection.

Guest quakey

Hi,

Thanks for the reply!

How to find out if port 25 is blocked or not?

1) Make sure your ISP doesn't block port 25 (non-business accounts of RoadRunner does those bastards).

2) Make sure port 25 is forwarding to your Linux server (e.g., using a Linksys router, advanced settings forwarding tab).

3) Make sure the MX records in DNS are forwarding to your IP address (assuming you have your own domain name) (e.g., 975Register.com has MXE that will forward MX records to your IP).

4) Make sure your domain name is setup as the destination in the Postfix configuration file.

5) Give 72 hours after updating your DNS record (step 3 above) for the change to take effect.  This is the most difficult step of them all ...waiting.

How are your clients configured?  What email clients are you using?  I have used KMail with success in creating a "local" connection.

You could change the port on a working but non-vital function, like VNC (for desktop remote control which usually is on 5900). If you're using KDE 3.1 then you can change the port number in the KDE control panel and try to access it externally by typing your domain name or IP address and then put ":25" at the end which will specify the non-default 5900.

I suppose you would have to stop the postfix mail service from the Mandrake control panel so that they're both not listening to port 25.

If you're not used to VNC, then alternatively you could modify the apache to port 25 from the config file, assuming an hour or so of downtime for web services is acceptable.

Guest quakey

Ok, I did the following:

1) Being root, service postfix stop

2) Ran vncserver :25

3) Enter password

4) I used my another Windows machine to connect to mydomain:25 and I got in

Does that mean I sucessfully set up VNC at port 25 and port 25 is open as well?? THANK YOU!

You could change the port on a working but non-vital function, like VNC (for desktop remote control which usually is on 5900).  If you're using KDE 3.1 then you can change the port number in the KDE control panel and try to access it externally by typing your domain name or IP address and then put ":25" at the end which will specify the non-default 5900.

I suppose you would have to stop the postfix mail service from the Mandrake control panel so that they're both not listening to port 25.

If you're not used to VNC, then alternatively you could modify the apache to port 25 from the config file, assuming an hour or so of downtime for web services is acceptable.

Yes, port 25 is not blocked as long as you accessed it from another place on the Internet and not on the same LAN.

Check the other things I wrote about ...make sure your router/firewall is forwarding port 25 to Linux ...make sure your domain name DNS record is forwarding MX records to your IP.