Podcast feed on Amarok and Songbird

Chris H

Posted this on another forum but no answers in the past few days. Maybe someone can help with this?

Mandriva 2008.1, KDE

Added a podcast feed to Amarok. It found it and downloaded the files. When I try to play them in Amarok it flags up no suitable demux for the file which is an mp3 file. mp3 audio files play fine.

More than one way to skin a cat so I download Songbird. Add the feed and click on an episode to listen to. Comes up with a box asking me what application I want to use to deal with this file.

So I select Amarok. And it damn well plays the feed.

So I install Rhythmbox and add the feed as an itunes feed as the feed is published both ways. And Rhythmbox plays the feed perfectly.

Any ideas why Amarok and Songbird had issues with the feed?

Ta.

Sounds like a backend issue.

Amarok on KDE 3.5.X uses xine-ui as default, while both rhythmbox and songbird use gstreamer.

I may suggest that your win32codecs (used by both mplayer and xine-ui) are missing parts, while gstreamer has the full plugins stuff installed- but songbird is unable to initialize them, because it's beta (at the very best), code-wise.

Some good points!

When I get back on me laptop I'll see if Amarok can be switched to the gstreamer engine and see what happens.

Asto Songbird, never had an issue like this before.

I have to say Rhythmbox is impressive in it's functionality and it's what I'm using now but the roadmap for amarok includes some good integration stuff which I'd definitely make use og. Hence wanting to get amarok working how I want it to.

To be honest, I do not like either Rhythmbox or its close relative, Exaile, or finally Banshee. The two former are lacking the best part of the Amarok functionality, while Banshee is very heavy, geared towards insignificant things like full iPOD/external device integration, but lacking significant playlist/library options- and also coded in ugly mono.

Since I have abandoned KDE3 I am using either Amarok2 beta (for KDE4), which is playing everything, but it's not even close to beta yet (loads of crashes and annoying behaviour), and Quodlibet, whose development has almost ceased, but IMHO it's the best overall music player/manager for Linux available.

I'd also like to mention that the best player for windows, Foobar2000, is working just fine under the current wine/crossover office versions, with just a few visual glitches and even fewer addons not working. Of course this isn't a crear solution, but it just works.