newbie trying to get mandrake 9.1 to access internet

Guest jneg123

Guest jneg123

Hi all,

Apologies for the long post, but I thought it best to be as thourough as possible.

I just installed 9.1 on a dual boot system with WinXP Home. I've been itching to try Linux for a while and finally got some time to play with it.

My current setup is a cable modem hooked up to a Broadband cable/dsl firewall router (it does NAT) with a built in 4 port switch. The computer is hooked up directly to the router (no hubs or switches) via ethernet.

Mandrake correctly identified the network card in the computer as a Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC on eth0. The Windows system gets it's IP through DHCP from the router. I ran the Wizard in MCC as well as tried to put in the settings directly through the advanced settings option and still no luck.

From ipconfig in Windows I know the Gateway & DHCP server address is 192.168.1.1 and the subnet mask is 255.255.255.0. In MCC it says that eht0 is "down" and I can't get it to connect.

What do I need to do? If I need to log in directly as root, how do I do that? Till now I log in as a user and MCC asked for the root password.

I'm not familiar yet with where linux puts everything so please be specific on location if you ask me to check out any settings or scripts.

Thanks

There is a program called netconf that allows you to configure your network settings. (There are others too but this is one that comes to mind).

I'm not sure where it is under LM9.1 but under LM8.1 you can find it under Configuration -> Networking. If you do run it then click on the client tasks tab and select host name and IP network devices. Under this menu click the Adapter 1 tab (assuming you only have one network card) and select Dhcp. Then accept the settings. Reboot and see if it now connects to your router.

Glitz.

PS. Sorry but my LM9.1 installation is messed up at the moment so all I have to fall back on is LM8.1. Good luck!

Guest jneg123

Thanks for the info. I found Netconf on the Gnome menu but ir says I need to log in as root to access and change anything. When my system boots up, the only user I can select is "joe" the one I set up during install. There is no option to log in as root. How do I log in as root?

when you log in you can just type in root and then the password that you chose for root during installation.

the better way is to open a terminal (any terminal) and type

su

it will ask you for a password. just type in the password that you chose for root during installation. you are now root. be very careful cos you can bugger *everything* up as root. now just type in netconf to get that programme running. Remember to stop being root after you've finished and closed netconf - type exit in the terminal.

good luck.