Red Hat to abandon retail channel

jlc

Guest JaseP

Well, one potential new distribution will be off the table for me. I guess if Mandrake isn't around or is too hard to get, then I am left with SuSE as my Mandy alternative.

For me, downloading ISOs is pretty much out of the question. I don't have the bandwidth at home and can't use my bandwidth at work for home uses that blatently...

Guest JaseP

I really don't want to pick up my distros by mail order either... Otherwise I would have ordered Mandrake 9.1 already.

But since Mandrake 8.2 does just about everything I want it too, save a library or two that might need updating, I have little to no reason to upgrade right now...

Keep in mind that it doesn't tell you that RH wont offer them to buy off of there site either. Also, you could alway's buy a book like RH bible and get the CD's off of it. So it will still be out to get if you don't have a fast connection to download for FREE!

I really don't want to pick up my distros by mail order either... Otherwise I would have ordered Mandrake 9.1 already.

But since Mandrake 8.2 does just about everything I want it too, save a library or two that might need updating, I have little to no reason to upgrade right now...

I was righting my post when you must have submitted yours so ignore the buy it online from RH.

It's an FYI to others.

Guest JaseP

Books are often about 2-3 distros behind and often lack the full features of a retail distribution release, like proprietary programs such as StarOffice, and such. I like the PowerPack edition of Mandrake because it is very robust, and includes a lot of extras... Not all of them I use, but I like the fact that I got `em if I want `em.

Books are often about 2-3 distros behind and often lack the full features of a retail distribution release, like proprietary programs such as StarOffice, and such. I like the PowerPack edition of Mandrake because it is very robust, and includes a lot of extras... Not all of them I use, but I like the fact that I got `em if I want `em.

Well, it's just another option for you. There are 3 RH (X) books on Amazon.com to be release when ever the final is, RH books are about the only distro you will find that keeps up2date off of books. I normally just download the 3 basic iso's and maybe src-iso's later so I never worry about all the extras you can get.