kernel panics how to deal with them?

Guest tezca

Guest tezca

I have had a few shares of kernel panics, and have solved 3 out of 4 of them, but does anybody know of a good tutorial on dealing with them?

also how would anyone deal with the following scenario

a system is started and will not boot the message is no init found try passing init= option to kernel

you boot from a rescue disk and try and mount the system from /mnt/sysimage it fails you enter the shell

you fdisk -l the drive and find you have 2 partitions + a swap

you run e2label and /dev/hda1 is /boot and /dev/hda2 is / so you mount the partitions and notice no fstab or mtab so you create from scratch and issue sync at the prompt 3 times then you exit the shell

you reboot and none of the changes held, no fstab etc.

how would you deal with it? :evil:

reinstall is not an option

What filesystems are you using? maybe is just that the kernel can't mount the / partition because it can't load the right module (seen many times), hence the no init found message since it has no way to find & execute /sbin/init

If the kernel has no native support for the / fs, it must load the module that manages that filesystem before mounting it (*ofcourse*) so a proper initrd image is needed.

Guest tezca

no clues huh?

well I think the way this might happen is in a lab, someone does an automated install, or after an install some one compiles a new kernel from source, but forgets to symlink it or something like that,

also found some info regarding the boot message

no init found try passing init= option to kernel

saw in some posts people trying passing init=/bin/bash to the kernel but my question is how?

in the bootloader grub there is 3 lines I tryed doing so there but it still won't boot,

I would apprieciate any help, but please remember re-install is not an option, also I can boot the old kernel, but that is also not an option to fix this