Opera 7.20 B 1 - Java Applet

chris:b

Yesterday I installed the new Opera Beta 7.20 B 1.

Nice so far, but I can't get Java (applet) up and running.

Pulg-ins are doing fine.

With Opera 7.11 everything worked o.k. with Java, after making the changes to the /usr/bin/opera as Cannon describes here in the Tips&Tricks section.

I am using j2re-1.3.1_06-1.mdk.i586.rpm. Works also with Konqueror.

The new Beta has a slightly different shell script where the changes are already made. But it does not work for me.

I would like to stay with the new version because the internal opera ads are somehow disabled and its even faster than ever, like it!

Someone out there tried it? Or any ideas?

No, I haven't tried it, but I wonder if opera has finally got hip with the version of gcc it's compiled with and if you need a java compiled for the same? Just shooting in the dark here, but this is the same thing that happened to me with the new mozilla (wouldn't work no matter what I tried). It had to have a java compiled with gcc3.2. If this is the case I'm sure someone has noticed this by now and it would be all over the opera forums or even from the download page, a link or something.

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/download.html

• 1 month later...

The new opera 7.20 B3 solved the java applet problem - everything is working now, just set the path in preferences/multimedia, no need to make changes to the script. It works with 1.3.1 and 1.4.2 ;-)

And I found some very nice skins (themes) for opera on their site.