Mozilla fonts

coverup

I have this question. Is it possible to setup mozilla to use different fontsizes for printing and on screen dispaly? I would like to use adobe times 18pt for viewing webpages (I like larger fonts), and print them in 12pt. I know, there is an "increase font/decrease font" option, but it would be a lot more convenient to make this setting permanent.

Guest BooYah

Ahhhh.

If someone could tells us how to pass the url, then you could change the print command to a run a script or send the url to another application for printing.

Click the Print button. In the popup print dialog, click the Properties button next to the Printer pull down menu. The new dialog pops out, the second window is `Print command', in my case it contains:

lp ${MOZ_PRINTER_NAME:+'-d'}${MOZ_PRINTER_NAME}

I presume, lp can be replaced with a script if necessary...

Thanks, qnr.

I've checked that stuff... Doesn't seem to have an effect I was hoping for. Now I have a huge variety of paper sizes, plexes, etc, but no options for fontsizes. I've printed one of the emails, it came out just the same as before in huge 18pt font...

Cheers.

Thanks, qnr.

I've checked that stuff... Doesn't seem to have an effect I was hoping for. Now I have a huge variety of paper sizes, plexes, etc, but no options for fontsizes. I've printed one of the emails, it came out just the same as before in huge 18pt font... 

Cheers.

Yeah, it's a pain. An idea might be to use n-up printing, which prints multiple pages on a sheet. The fonts are still large for each section of course, but you use less paper.

in my case, in the printer properties dialog, I'd use:

lpr -Ptp0 -o number-up=2

for two pages per sheet. Note that I'm using -Ptp0 because I'm using turboprint, guess you'd use lp0, or whatever.

Details from the CUPS Documentation:

N-Up Printing

The -o number-up=value option selects N-Up printing. N-Up printing places multiple document pages on a single printed page. CUPS supports 1, 2, 4, 6, 9, and 16-Up formats; the default format is 1-Up:

lp -o number-up=1 filename ENTER

lp -o number-up=2 filename ENTER

lp -o number-up=4 filename ENTER

lpr -o number-up=16 filename ENTER

The -o page-border=value option chooses the border to draw around each page:

* -o page-border=double; draw two hairline borders around each page

* -o page-border=double-thick; draw two 1pt borders around each page

* -o page-border=none; do not draw a border (default)

* -o page-border=single; draw one hairline border around each page

* -o page-border=single-thick; draw one 1pt border around each page

The -o number-up-layout=value option chooses the layout of the pages on each output page:

* -o number-up-layout=btlr; Bottom to top, left to right

* -o number-up-layout=btrl; Bottom to top, right to left

* -o number-up-layout=lrbt; Left to right, bottom to top

* -o number-up-layout=lrtb; Left to right, top to bottom (default)

* -o number-up-layout=rlbt; Right to left, bottom to top

* -o number-up-layout=rltb; Right to left, top to bottom

* -o number-up-layout=tblr; Top to bottom, left to right

* -o number-up-layout=tbrl; Top to bottom, right to left

Guest BooYah

I was orginally thinking along the lines of this.

lynx -dump <url> | lpr -stdin

It works if you type the url in, but I don't know how to get Mozilla to send the url. If we knew how to, you could send the url to another app that's already set-up to print with whatever font size you want.

If you want graphics, use a script--you could use wget to get the page send and then it to some application to print it out; or save the page, use something (sed?) to find and replace the font size string, then print it.

---

But, if you can print multiple pages on one sheet from the command line, there's got to be way to change the font print size as well. Try a google search.

Thanks for your advise, qnr.

I'll try nu-p printing later this afternoon.

Frankly, I do not get why mozilla messes up with features that proved useful. Printing using a default font is one example. Removing movemail from mail account options is another one. Those things were working just fine in Netscape 4.x...

Thanks, guys.

BooYah, let's make the task simpler and more specific:-). My problem are emails that stretch to several pages in a huge font. Is it possible to pass them to lynx? Usually, emails contain no graphics, and url is most likely something like this

mailbox://home/userdir/maildir/Inbox?number=xxxxxx

where xxxxxx is some message number. Is that right?

Guest BooYah

Lynx is a text-based web browser. My example used lynx to retreive the page, dump its ouput (which was piped to your printer) and exit.

I've never used mozilla's mailer, but you could try this from the command line. I imagine you'll get all the headers and what not, though.

lpr /home/userdir/maildir/Inbox?number=xxxxxx

I think your best bet is going with what qnr did or to try and find a CUPS option for changing font size. I'm curious myslef, but alas I think I'm out of time for playing with my computer for today--gotta go educate some folks.

Guest BooYah

I never could find a CUPS command for changing font sizes, but check out this cool utility to convert html to ps/pdf. It looks like you can set-up the font sizes you want, get the page, convet it, print it out.

I haven't tried it yet, but let us know if it works for you.

html2ps