LFS with a twist

Guest c_m_f

Guest c_m_f

Well im planning on building a LFS system, but with a twist, rather than compiling it all from source, i wanted to create RPM's of each package and install from there, so i have no packages compiled from source.

I wanted to build this so it is optimized for Athlon's firstly.

But also once setup and working i wanted to somehow make an install CD which then just installs all of the packages, and then see what comes of it.

So what i ask of all you fine people, are some:

1. Documents explaining how to set up bootstrapping (i believe this is what will be needed to create an install CD?)

2. Documents related to RPM's and making spec files.

3. Anymore documents of reference.

The reasons for this is just plainly getting pissed off with mandrake, i know its nice and i still like it, but im just slowly getting aggrevated with it.

I know i oculd try gentoo, but i also want to learn.

If anyone is interested in teh install CD part of this (if i pull it off) PM me.

Anyway, if anyone has and sources of infomation of interest please say so.

cmf

well one thing you may want to look at then is possibly using one of the other packaging formats (deb, portage, slackware, arch). because in my opinion they all are much easier to manage than rpms. while RPMs have finally gotten some better managers with dependency handling they were really not designed to be used in a "smart" package managment system.

another thing with using another packaging system is that you can also potentially have a simpler file hierarchy. RPMs and debs tend to be rather messy in their placement.

with your own, and much simpler, init scripts you can also avoid the mess of some distros tendency to run daemons as other 'users'. take a look at a debian user who is using just a few daemons and they are bound to have several "users" and a much heavier load average because of it.

Guest c_m_f

do you have any links to resources to use slackware or any others, and is having optimized packages pooible with these (i know probably, but just checking) Also any links to any resiurces on init scripts.

Ive just compiled the base now, so now is the time to decide package management to convert all of this to that format.

Also which is most easy on the end user?

AFAIK RPM is the most widely used so in that respect is easiest to find packages for.

well unfortunately at this very moment i don't have time to give you any solid links. i am pretty sure that the documentation on the lfs site has some stuff on installing over a lfs base.

ok i understand your reason for choosing RPM as a packaging. I personally would choose the package management system that is the easiest to work with and allows for easy manipulation of the setup parameters. while RPMs are common just choosing RPM may defeat your purposes for optimizing your sytem as if you just have the baseoptimized but do not optimize the package to be installed on that base may not mean the best performance of the installed programs which cannot achieve the same performance since they will be built for lesser processors (i386 to i586). i have not seen many rpms optimized with i686 flags.

i will endeavor to find you some links if there is nothing on the lfs site for inits and package managemnt. but it will be much later today.

PS i am not trying to discourage you from using RPM just making sure you consider some things you may not have thought of before.

Guest c_m_f

i was going to be building my own i686 rpm's with athlon flags for the optimization on par with compiling, ive got the base built now so its just a matter of figuring out how to write spec files and then making rpms for each package.

Thanks for all the help though btw, its very much appreciated.