Software to read my mood...

SoulSe

In my windoze days_daze_ I used to use a plugin for winamp which connected to a server with listings of songs and their mood, tone, genre, etc. you could then tell the plugin you wanted, for example, happy rock music and it would chuck all the songs matching the criteria into your winamp playlist.

It was rad. I was wondering if anyone knew of similar software for Linux? It was really usefull.

Not offhand. However, it shouldn't be that difficult to write a script to read the ID3 tags in mp3 files and randomly play the appropriate ones. I don't use xmms, so I really don't know anything about its plugins.

It's not hard to read, here's an example (just from my temporary mp3 holding area):

terry@timestorm: /home/terry/mp3

10:18:33 $ grep -i rock *

Binary file 08-Ten_Years_After_-_As_The_Sun_Still_Burns_Away.mp3 matches

Binary file 09_-_Ten_Years_After_-_I'm_Going_Home.mp3 matches

Binary file Chris1_Isaak_-_San_Francisco_Days.mp3 matches

Binary file Crosby, Stills & Nash - CSN, 07-Dark Star.mp3 matches

Binary file Elton_John-_Daniel_My_Brother.mp3 matches

Binary file Musicals_-_Hair_-_Let_The_Sunshine_In.mp3 matches

Binary file Ozzy_Osbourne_-_Dreamer_(The_Osbournes_Remix_-_128_kbps).mp3 matches

Binary file Ten_Years_After_-_I'd_Love_To_Change_The_World.mp3.01 matches

Yeah... I guess I'll go and learn more about the tags and whether or not there are entries for mood or vibe... if you know what I mean. Like romantic or sad or happy or suicidal and then see if I can grep that out and do some script to enqueue in XMMS.... shouldn't be too hard, it would involve me going through 20GB of mp3s and labelling them though!

It would be cool to write a plugin that uses a MySQL db or something in conjunction with a php page where users could rate their songs and the plugin could read this info from MySQL and dump the songs into XMMS or something... now if only I could code!