Encrypted File System Support Broken?

Guest andrewcrawford

Guest andrewcrawford

I am having trouble with the encrypted file system support in Mandrake 9.1. I created an ext3 partition on a drive (/dev/hda) and checked the "encrypted" option box. It prompted me for a password and confirmation, which I provided.

When the system boots, it asks for the password when mounting the encrypted file system. After the password is entered, it responds with this error and continues booting:

mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/loop2,

or too many mounted file systems

The file system is not mounted when the system comes up. Any attempt to mount it from the shell returns the same error.

In DiskDrake, however, I can click the "mount" button for the partition and it mounts the drive without prompting for the password. If everything is configured properly, this seems like a gaping security hole.

Am I doing something wrong or is the encrypted fs support broken?

With some searching, I found other people having the same problem but, no solutions.

I know how to create an encrypted file system manually using losetup, mkfs, and mount. However, I hate to do that if there is support for doing it automatically within Mandrake.

Andrew

I haven't been confident enough in my linux skills to try the encrypted partition option yet. I have some business related data that I cannot afford to lose to an ill-prepared experiment. I also have a need for encrypted partition and have been studying my options, so I am interested in how this thread goes.

Question: Do you have all the latest Mdk 9.1 updates installed? There were LOTs of bugfixes, etc following the initial release including some to the ext3 and other disk formatting tools. I wonder if there is a connection to the encryption bug you are describing?

Just a thought...

Guest andrewcrawford
Question: Do you have all the latest Mdk 9.1 updates installed? There were LOTs of bugfixes, etc following the initial release including some to the ext3 and other disk formatting tools.  I wonder if there is a connection to the encryption bug you are describing?

Yes. That is the first thing I do when I set up a system: install, then install all of the current updates to installed packages. I have a script that downloads updates shortly after they are posted and then emails me a notification so I can keep the system up-to-date.

Andrew

Good. I sort of figured you had done this as you sounded confident like you know your way around Linux pretty well. :)

I've done some surfing and see very little help on this and that is why I have been reluctant to jump in on it. Wish I had an extra computer I could use to thrash this out.

I hope one of the board's guru types has some input for you! I'll be watching with great interest.

I also have an ecrypted filesystem..just to experiment a bit. It doesn't ask me for a password, even in shell-mode, but that's possibly (I think) because it's mounted at boot and I think every think it's mounted by root.....

I hgave created a user-group for this partition, so normally only users that belong to this group can enter it. The password would be even better, but like I said, I'm just experimenting, it's teh first time I have set up this partition.

I've chacked however and a kde-utitlity that measures how much of the partition is full, can't tell that info about the encrypted file-system...but how secure it is, I can't say. It's ebcrypted and only users that belong to that user-group can acces it.....