Removing KDE RPM after Compilation Install

kfoss

I've just finished upgrading my KDE 3.0.3 to KDE 3.1.1a by doing a compilation install. I have tried numerous times in the past to upgrade my KDE 3.0.x to 3.1.x but have never been successful due to missing dependencies.

I find it funny that the whenever I've looked for KDE 3.1 RPMs for MDK 9.0, that I can never install them. There is always a circle of missing RPMs which is different than the Out-of-the-Box 9.0. This shouldn't be if I understand. Anyways, I got fed up and used the KDE 3.1.1a source files from the latest Linux Format DVD and compiled and installed them. Now that I have KDE 3.1.x running, I would like to clean up my drive a bit by removing some of the old KDE 3.0.3 files. However, I just can't remove the files without another circle of dependencies being broken.

Does anyone have any ideas about removing the old KDE 3.0.3 files without leaving a huge hole in the RPM structure from just deleting the files.

BTW, I can't upgrade to MDK 9.1 as it does not allow the use of my ATI All-in-Wonder card. The GCC 3.x compilers still have issues which cause problems with the drivers done for 2.9x compilers.

When we upgraded from KDE2.2.2 to KDE3 we ran into a lot of the same issues. Although some people were succesful the general consensus was that it was better to leave them alone. If you're interested you can do a search on the old boad and will come up with numerous topics on this subject. http://www.mandrakeuser.org/mub/

HTH

I hope you don't consider this response to be a troll reply, but...

Texstar's KDE 3.1 packages worked just fine for me, and most others as far as I know. I have the main distribution, contrib, plf, and Texstar added to my urpmi sources, so I didn't really notices what dependency issues there might be. The 9.0 packages aren't on his mirrors anymore, but someone here may still have them. I realize you just went through a compilation...

I'm currently using an ATI AIW Rage 128 Pro on Mandrake 9.1. I didn't do anything special to get it working. There are some minor quirks with the TV tuner, but that's related XF86 4.3. I experienced the same quirks with XF86 4.3 under Mandrake 9.0, and eventually went back to XF86 4.2.1. When Mandrake 9.1 was released, I managed to find some work-arounds for the TV-tuner issues. The only thing that I couldn't get working (and I didn't really try) is DRI. I could never get DRI working under Mandrake 8.x or 9.0 with the AIW R128 Pro. Since I have seen other Rage 128 cards work with DRI out of the box, I assume the problem is with my motherboard/chipset.