Will Evolution 1.4 screw up Mandrake Update?

Guest stodge

Guest stodge

If I install Ximian's Evolution 1.4 onto Mandrake 9.1, am I right in thinking that this will screw up future updates using the Mandrake update tool?

Thanks

Get Evolution from the Texstar rpm source. It works perfectly. If you have no idea what I'm talking about, run:

urpmi urpmi.setup (as root) or

google for urpmi.web. You will add your sources to urpmi, and you will be happy :-).

--Andrew

Guest stodge

Ah found it.

Texstar seems to be heavily geared towards KDE, whereas my distro is primarily Gnome. The screenshots on the ftp server look rather nice; I'm sorely tempted to try out the Texstar KDE RPMs. Damn - just when I thought I had my PC running smoothly.

I've just reformatted and reinstalled Mdk 9.1, installed texstars RPM of evolution 1.4 and it works fine.

Have a look at the link i posted to setup urpmi. URPMI is a godsend. I can reformat and have a working linux mandrake in less that 2 hours using this. No time wasted looking for RPMS of software. It doesn't have evverything but it has a lot!!

Guest stodge

I got Evolution 1.4 installed but it crashes more than a great big crashy thing. Segmentation faults. It just screwed up a REALLY important email to a potential employee so I can't trust it anymore. :(

Shame because I quite liked it.

Did you use the texstar rpm's or something from Ximian?

Also, I know you use Gnome, but Kmail is a *very* good email client. If you are looking for stability, it seems to be very good. I've used it for a month or two without any crashes.

Of course, you could go hardcore and use mutt/pine :twisted:. The Console is where it's at!

Guest stodge

I'm not THAT hardcore! :lol:

I used the Evolution 1.4 RPM from Texstar. I think I'd already updated the default Mdk 9.1 Evolution RPM if that matters.

I have the texstar RPM and it's working perfectly.

THough this is a clean MDK install

got Evolution 1.4 installed but it crashes more than a great big crashy thing. Segmentation faults. It just screwed up a REALLY important email to a potential employee so I can't trust it anymore.

Lemme guess. When you used URPMI to install it it would've given you some choices of RPMS to install that it needed. One of those choices for me was

1) libnss3

2) mozilla-firebird

It also gave me another choice. I chose Firebird. It give you these choices because these packages both have something it needs. But the Firebird package does NOT contain libnss3.so and something else it needs even though it's supposed to.

To get the packages you need

"urpmi libnss3"

and download this package too

Try a"urpmi libnspr4" if that doesn't work then the package is at

http://rpmseek.com/rpm/libnspr4-1.3-1mdk.i...PN:0:0:0:537358

These should make Evolution a lot more stable. Evolution has never crashed on me with all releases i've had.

James