OpenBox 3.0 Alpha 1 released

tyme

The long-awaited Openbox3 series has finally hit the shelves (sort of). This is the first alpha release, and I expect to do 3 or 4 before considering the 3.0 re lease.

Openbox3 is a completely new window manager, and is not based upon any previous window manager code-base. Its primary goals are standards support/compliance, an d intelligent window management (without getting in the way).

If you are an Openbox2 user, please to not place expectations that Openbox3 will be everything Openbox2 was. It won't. Hopefully you will like the changes, and of course I'd be interested to hear what you do and do not like.

Documentation for configuring Openbox3 is sorely lacking yet, which I hope to have repaired before making the 3.0 release. That said, there is a reasonable default rc3 (the config file) installed that you can use as a template to make your own. As well, my rc3 is available here for further examples. Make sure you copy the rc3 file to $HOME/.openbox before editing it, or you'll lose your changes the next time you upgrade.

Any bugs found should be reported via the usual channels, and any suggestions and comments would be welcome on the mailing list.

Let the good times roll!

Take a trip over to the site, check out some screenshots, download the tarball, give it a go!