Annotate files with user descriptions?

Guest johnKFT

Guest johnKFT

Am I the only one to struggle with figuring out what ooe45cv-[p//23jrf.tar.gz is? I have a download directory full of files with cryptic names like this and no recollection of what they are. Does anyone know a way of applying user descriptions to files so that a tooltip appears with the description whenever I waft the cursor over a file (or some similar system)? I use ROX-Filer and cannot find a way of making this do it other than putting everything in application directories, which does what I want but produces all sorts of associated problems. Also only works with directories.

Am I reaching for the moon here? I seem to recall when I used an old Amstrad PCW that I could fill out a little box with a personal description for any file on the system.

mmm,... i like that. Perhaps it can be done but I guess it will depend on the Window manager.

I used to have a kde plugin that made konqueor generate a index.html for images, I guess something similar where you are prompted for a pop-up or something and it writes a xml index for the directory.

Guest BooYah

Does ROX allow you to see what's in compressed files? I'll sometimes forget what's what, so I'll use the Midnight Commander to see what's inside.

I think if I had a whole bunch I'd make a text file with the names and descriptions and just grep it when I wanted to know what's what.