GNOME: Could not look up internet address for dhcp-796-117.

iphitus

Hi

I've moved from enlightenment to Gnome for a while to try (and i'll probably stay), but when i start Gnome i get the below error message.

Could not look up internet address for dhcp-796-117.

This will prevent GNOME from operating correctly.

It may be possible to correct the problem by adding

dhcp-796-117 to the file /etc/hosts.

Everything works fine except Gtk-Gnutella

It's pointless adding it to my /etc/hosts file as it often changes.

I have cable internet with a dynamic ip.

Gtk-Gnutella gives me the below error and repeats it every 2 seconds (at commandline)

03/06/29 08:02:23 (WARNING): cannot resolve "dhcp-796-117": Unknown host

What can i do?

Is there a script that i could use to automatically update /etc/hosts?

James

I used to have that problem myself with Gnome, until i changed the IP to "localhost" that fixed the error message.

Don't know what Gtk-Gnutella is, (themes?) apart from its on our ftp site in PLF. :oops:

Sorry, i meant the host name.

Run the internet connection wizard, and in the box that says "host" or "zeroconfig" host name, type localhost. So if you open a term it would say.

[rcxau@localhost]$

you could always try editing it manually. This is my /etc/hosts

terry@timestorm: /home/terry

19:21:19 $ cat /etc/hosts

#

# hosts         This file describes a number of hostname-to-address

#               mappings for the TCP/IP subsystem.  It is mostly

#               used at boot time, when no name servers are running.

#               On small systems, this file can be used instead of a

#               "named" name server.  Just add the names, addresses

#               and any aliases to this file...

#

127.0.0.1       localhost

192.168.0.101   timestorm.ross.com      timestorm

192.168.0.100   laptop.ross.com         laptop

192.168.0.102   gateway.ross.com        gateway

as far as gtk-gnutella goes, just use the actual IP address. If you wait a little while, the address that people are seeing you at will be reflected back to you in the IP:Port section of the Gnutellanet tab.

Alternately, if you didn't want to look your system over yourself, you could visit http://whatismyip.com/

Once you have it, you want to put it in Config >> Network Settings >> Force local IP to

With my cable internet i get a new IP address at random, sometimes i keep it for a day, sometimes for a week, it's so i can't setup a big webserver, to do that i need to go buy one of the ISP's big expensive corporate plans. I'll try mldonkey for a while, it seems to work.

James

OK, sure. Just for info though, you're not setting up any webserver. My /etc/hosts file is just telling my system how to communicate with other computers on my LAN (note the 192.168.x.x) That way I can use something like vncviewer laptop

You need your actual IP address (that you can get through that http://whatismyip.com ) to allow push requests, it allows other people to get through your firewall (assuming you've set up your router/gateway/firewall to allow traffic on whichever "port" you enter - however, gnutella (and gtk-gnutella, of course) will work even if you don't allow push requests. You'll just get fewer responses to you searches, for example, because if you're behind a firewall and not allowing a push, and someone else is behind a firewall and not allowing a push, then you'll never be able to communicate with one another.

On the other hand, you might like the eDonkey service, it has a much more "international" flavor.