need advice on a programming language

THE TOOLKIT

This site has just about every gui toolkit/framework and the like in toolkit history

For each toolkit it has a comment, what plaforms it works on (Linux/Winblows/Mac and more), a link(s) and license.

There are toolkits for Ada, Lisp, Fortran, Prolog, Pascal (including Delphi/Kylix) C#, C++, C and Java.

It also has a list of links to related sites.

The page is big and takes a sec to render in mozilla, your browser hasn't frozen. or maybe it's my slow computer.

Anyway this is THE SITE, for gui toolkits and frameworks.

James

Glitz: it's that I want this program to work whether the person is using KDE or GNOME, in the sense that the other isn't needed....

I.E. I'd like for it to look the same under both.  Someone mentioned something somewhere....I thought....*hunts around the forums*

kylix...is that a toolkit?  hmm...no...bah.  nevermind, forget this question ever existed.  guess I'll take a look at glade since gnome/gtk is my DE/toolkit of choice.

Ah, you want it to look consistent from desktop to desktop. Hmmm, I may be wrong but as long as the GTK libraries are installed it should work under any window manager.

I suppose that in a pinch you could link it statically.

You should be able to use any toolset, really. All you have to do is distribute the libraries with your program. That way, if the person doesn't have them installed, then he can install them.

As for built in GUI libraries, I have tried XBASIC a bit:

http://xbasic.sourceforge.net/

A good site (although a bit dated) for information about XBASIC is:

http://www.maxreason.com/software/xbasic/xbasic.html

It provides a complete IDE with GUI designer, is written for 32/64 bit processors and compiles to a standalone executable file that runs just about as fast as C compiled code. Best of all your code looks identical under Linux and Windows and all that is required is a recompile of the code to run it under the other system.

By the way, XBASIC has been in development for over 10 years and is not BETA software. The current version is 6.2.3.

Glitz.