this is not an easy site to browse

in text-mode.....

When I login in kde/gnome/failsafe...

I don't login anymore, but just get

the login-screen back.

HEEEELLLPPPPPPPPP( is it clear???:))

in text-mode: startkde and startgnome give that there is

no display found... xmodmap,....

anu ideas?? really want to get back to my normal ops....

It pisses me off..I closed down normally and when I started linux back up again today...couldn't login anymore...hehe

again HEEELLLOPPP. remember I'm in text-mode!!!!

Thanks

Reboot, and at the Lilo menu press the ESC key

Type linux 3

enter password

Type startx and look for error messages. Post them back here. Maybe you need to re-run XFdrake

Step 1: RELAX

i've browsed this site in text mode too, it's terrible!!

did you by any chance change the option in MCC that prompts.

"Do you want X to start at startup"

I did once, same thing happened.

What were you doing before you restarted, changing settings, installing apps, or normal use(whatever that may be).

Outside possibility, but hey, who knows

First off - this is for Michel, not a noobie....

noobies, don't try and follow.... I'm being v. brief cos he's using a text based browser::::

Michel, It happened to me and it got fixed with a large hammer approach so Im, not sure exactly what fixed it.

Follow anon on the startx. You need to determine if its your login manager or XF86Config.

It could actually be the .kde stuff in your home (or gnome or whatever).

If you have a spare user try that user.... at least it eliminates more serious messing about.

If its the dm then you could urmpi it from text mode.

But no display sounds more like its the Xserver failing to start.

/var/log/XF86...log ????

If you have a mail client and you need anything posting on here you could mail me and I'll post it for you. (use the yahoo one Im at work)

If you can startx like anon suggests you can startkde from there....

well, I might be wrong... and certainly here weather is damn hot, so probably my brain is melted, but before panic, as Gowator has suggested check the /var/XFree86.0.log for errors. Also check /var/log/messages for interesting info.

After doing those checks and if you don't find where is the problem I suggest to (here is where my brain is suffering this heat wave that our weather-man says that hopfully will end this weekend)... I suggest you to remove all the stuff you have in the /tmp directory, restart the X server, and try to login again.

Like aru said, don't panic....

I completely screwed a machine a few weeks ago cos the scanner was turned off. seriously, I was in a hurry and the documents were important and my brain was melting ....

anyway, the point is I panicked and ended up getting deeper and deeper into being screwed up. Eventually I got X working with no window manager and managed to use xsane from there.

Then cleaning up my mess took forever......try a different user for a start ... try also starting X first then the window manager.

Yeah, I know I'm saying do as I say not like I do .... and you know it just as well yourself, its sometimes just good to hear it from 3rd parties :-)

Like I said, if you have mail working and you want anything posting that is hard in lynks then no problem, just sent it to my yahoo acct.

Good luck, well see you soon .....

Steve

[sig turned off for the benefit of anyone with a text browser :-) ]

thanks all.....it seems it wans't the xserver....although when I booted into textmode and wanted to start the xserver it complained that the nvidia-module wasn't loaded and there was soemthing wrong with the x-fontserver.

After a modprobe and an Xfdrake( to start the font-server decentley). it wouyldn't still woudln't start, except if I typed startx as root kde started....

The starnge thing was that duringh graphical start-up teh nvidia-module was loaded( suppose bebause it's a graphical startup :)), I didn't checl the font-server-message...->the nvidia-logog appeared,..so teh xserevr was loaded (think with succes).

During logi, the first time all users were mentionned, instead of just mine...so sql, games, ....so I tried to reinstall mdkkdm from scratch...and after reinsatlling also the dependencies (man!!: kdebase, galaxy-kde-kwin and some others),

the thing worked again..so back on track now...:D

thanks for all the help....

How did it happen? (If your interested ...)

I think as follow. Lately, I had troubles logging in to kde (didn't try yet, but since I reinstalled kdebase, I hgope it won't happen anymore in the near future :)). During the startup of kde, kde would freeze soemtime..and the only sollution was rebootibng the xserver. It seems the journaling system, couldn't fix everything correctley...although my knowledge of journaling systems isn't so great...I think it can happen...

Anyway thanks all again.

Although I had that xserver-restart with kde, I think I did have a normal session afterwards, anyway it'sofcourse my fault..have to stop messing with the system...but which messing yesterday??Maybe installing the game vegatsrike, don't know..seems strange....

thanks again all the posters of this topic....

Welcome [back] to the Real world

mdkkdm

Yeah i had the all users thing, It was after using the Kde control centre with the boot/login options.

I stopped using mdkkdm for now because I don't really understand it. I guess if you always use MandrakeUser etc. it works but sometinmes its easier to do a CLI useradd,

[sig back on]

I had similar problems on the configuring peripherals part, but I did install the newest kde....