How to change mirror for Mandrake update?

Guest stodge

Guest stodge

I seem to have chosen a dodgy mirror, as the updater can't connect to the FTP server to download updates. I thought that I might be able to re-load the updater and choose another mirror but no such luck; it insists on using the same one. So is there a way in the program to choose another mirror?

So as a result I've decided that there are two design flaws in the program:

1) Not being able to choose a new mirror.

2) Not being able to select/deselect all packages.

Thanks

Should be as easy as running mdk control centre, click on software sources, remove update source.Then Click add, in the panel that appears, at the far right you should see "security updates" click on that and choose a mirror. (security updates don't just contain security fixes.)

Im assuming your running MDK9.1

Guest stodge

Yes it's 9.1.

Weird; every time it tries to connect to a new mirror, it fails. Anyone having any problems?

"There was an error while adding the update medium via urpmi.

This may be due to a broken or temporary unavailable mirror, or when your Mandrake Linux version (9.1) is not yet/no more supported by Mandrake Linux Official Updates.

Do you want to try another mirror?"

I've tried seven and they all fail so far.

Cheers

OK open up a term, type su and enter root password. then copy / paste this and look for errors.

urpmi.addmedia --update updates ftp://ftp.univ-aix.fr/pub/linux/Mandrake/Mandrake/updates/9.1/RPMS/ with ../base/hdlist.cz

From my location in SE Asia there are lots of challenges to getting a good connection at times. To overcome that, I avoid peak usage times and do my updates on early morning (esp. weekends) and times when US users are sleeping! HA! Being 12 hrs ahead has some advantages.

Key thing is to be patient. "If at first you don't succeed, try-- try again!" Sometimes the mirrors are too busy to give you a connection so you have to shop around and try again. After a time, you'll find the mirrors that are best for you. One trick I use is to ping the mirror list at http://www.mandrakesecure.net/en/ftp.php and find the lowest ping time. NOTE: even with a low ping time the mirror still might time you out if it is busy or has too many connections... but at least you can find the paths that are faster connections.