Mandriva 2008.1 on Latitude D600 [solved]

Guest jaraju

Guest jaraju

Hi guys,

I've just installed Mandriva Linux Free 2008 Spring on my Dell Latitude D600. The installation went without a problem but after the installation I couldn't set volume using the volume buttons above the keyboard.

Another thing is that there's a volume display on my desktop (it doesn't go off) and it's really annoying because it's always at the front and it's blocking my other windows. Image of the volume display is as below:

i13672_volumeissue.jpg

Has anyone else had this issue? How do i solve this problem?

Thanks in advance.

Nope, I haven't ever seen that one before (5year span).

Looks like it might be the result of some unusual selection you made during the install but i couldn't guess what.

Cheers. John

I had a similar problem with volume control (the buttons did not work) using 2008.0 on ThinkPad T61. It appeared that volume was to be software controlled, so I defined all keycodes and mapped them to the keys. Interestingly, I did not have to do anything special in Ubuntu to get the volume working

The window you see looks exactly as the one I see when I press volume buttons. In my case, volume is controlled by kmilo, the KDE plugin for ThinkPad special keys. Check the KDE control center whether you have kmilo installed. Disable or uninstall it.

Hi Adam.

So I haven't seen the problem because i have never Installed kmilo.

How lucky am I. :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

Thanks for the info so I can continue to avoid the problem. :D

I suppose my using a PC instead of a Laptop might be the reason. :D

Cheers. John.

Edited by AussieJohn

kmilo is actually installed in a default KDE install on all systems. (Many desktops have multimedia keyboards these days). The bug doesn't affect all systems, only some where a keycode is incorrectly interpreted (IIRC what's actually happening is the system thinks the 'Volume Down' key is being held down permanently).

Aha, now I see, Adam.

I don't do default KDE installs and I checked the Installed packages via MCC and kmilo was not there so now I really know instead of presuming or guessing.

Thanks for that info.

Cheers. John.