NTFS resized successfully but ADSL doesn't work

Guest oberon

Guest oberon

Tried to remove everything containing "dsl". When searching in descriptions, found only drakxtools and rp-pppoe. Removed rp-pppoe and dinn't install it again since I definitely have no pppoe. But didn't remove drakxtools because it wanted to remove with it a lot of different applications. Also removed everything with "dhcp", just in case, and reinstalled it.

The resul is ZERO :evil:. Everything is the same.

Should I try to remove and reinstall drakxtools?

I've read in another place that 9.1 has plenty of bugs, and drakxtools is buggy also. Maybe this is the sourse of my problem? Do you know, is it possible to install the updates without in-built updating feature? Just to download an image working in XP, burn a CD and update from it?

first off, Im just back from the bar so obviously not in best shape to give definitive advice.

pppoe is a protocol which sends your ppp (point to point protocol) over ethernet (your network card).

There are a few technicalities about your modem and ISP but if your DSL modem does pppoe to pppoa bridging they are more tuning than getting it working.

What you really need is to get your internet conneciton to pass your password and username to your ISP.

pppoe provides a way to do this. Unless you know for certain you are pppoa then its the easiest way to get started off.

(pppoa is ...over ATM) aysnchronous transfer ?? mechanism ???

So reinstall the pppoe (this is common so thats why mandrake chose it) and try the connection again but selecting only ADSL.

Don't rush through, take it a step at a time. Read everything carefully just to make sure.

You should be promted for your username/password.

It would be better if you downloaded the updates first but its a chicken/egg situation. I'm sure I didn't and it worked.

You are right, the Draktools are a bit buggy in 9.1 and there are lots of updates but In this case I know it worked so you should be able to connect and then do the updates!

Your NIC seems identified and working, the main thing you seem to need to do is to get your password and username stored and used for the connection.

static wrote that the ADSL connection is for using a dsl modem that is internally installed into one of PCI slots. So I should use only LAN connection. But it doesn't ask any additional info then... However, I'll see what it will do after reinstall.

Static is right but the vaguaries of different ISP's make this difficult to be standard. Also Static got it working straight away because he already had DSL. I just got it (I previously had no landline, Im an expat too) and i had the same problems as you. I wouldn't usually contradict someone like static had i not been through the same problems, especially since I agree with what he says in theory but I had the disappearing passwrd/username box syndrome too. So what Im telling you is what worked for me! So i think you need to reinstall rp-pppoe even if its a bit illogial, its not really Mandrakes fault, they can't deal with evert ISP in the world unless the ISP tells them what is required for a connecion. I'm in France, the home of mandrake and the national providor Wanadoo don't even do that!

Here is what is really happening, possbily, sooner or later the pppoe is turned into pppoa but you shouldn't need to worry about that.

NIC --- ethernet ---DSL Modem ---ISP ---- www

----------pppoe------pppoe->pppoa ---

I think you are maybe transferring too much informaiton from windows, like static says, leave the GW blank.

Your friends in this are the routing table and your network interface utilities.

route (by itself will print the routing table) in Windows its route PRINT

ifconfig (by itself) will list your interfaces, active and inactive.

ifconfig eth0 down ::::: will turn off the first (and only NIC)

ifconfig eth0 up::::::::::wuill turn it back on

You can also use

ifup eth0

ifdown eth0

When you do this from a command line you get to see all the errors or not and see if it goes off searching for an IP address by DHCP. ITs often useful to do this and it helps work out where the problem might be.

/etc/ppp should contain all your authentification, Don't post these files....

Just check that ppp.sectret exists, do

more ppp.secrets and check it has your password/username. You'll need to be root (I think).

• 2 weeks later...
Guest oberon

Hello, it's me again :)

I spent some time running programs from shell. I even copied their output to paper but at some stage have thrown it out. Anyway, there were no error reports, but also no IP was received or whatever and there was no connection.

By the way, running those commands in KDE default shell I had terrible hangups every time. Computer didn't react anything and I had to hit 'Restart' button which every time ended with Mandrake reinstallation. But when I run the same commands (just those mentioned by you) in GNOME default terminal, everything goes OK.

I also tried to install Red Hat 9 which came with 'Red Hat Linux Bible'. It also couldn't connect, but from that installation I understood one thing. In some other place I wrote that when Mandrake is loading, it shows a message like "Bringing up eth0 interface", I don't remember exactly. And after some delay it reports OK without mentioning any details and goes further. Now I know that this OK is a complete bullshit, it is just a timed out attempt. Red Hat 9 is more honest at this point, it just reports 'TIMEOUT'.

Also I decided that it should be OK to set my connection as ADSL, not LAN, even though it works through a NIC. RH9 shows more details and you can show that your ADSL should work through the Realtek card.

Also I came to conclusion that pppoe is not for me, I should use dhcp only. If you want to look at what information my DSL provider gives for setting connection from Windows/Mac, it is here: http://www.i-choice.cyta.com.cy/adsl-uk/odigos.htm. My option is 'Alcatel Speed Touch Home (Ethernet)'.

By now my highest achievement is that I know that when I try to set up the Internet connection *during* the Mandrake installation, _not_after_ it, it starts getting an IP address every time when it loads, exactly at that stage "bringing up eth0 interface". After printing this line and some delay it starts reporting an IP like 169.254.186.14 and some other things about eth0 and eth0:9 and then continues to load.

However, I am still unable to connect to the Internet. And I cannot connect to DSL server. THe guy who runs a local computer shop and is experienced in setting up ADSL in Windows says that with my hardware (NIC + ADSL modem) the only thing which is needed is to go to www.i-choice.com.cy in IE window and 'activate' the connection. But I was never able to do this in Mandrake (not only because of absence of IE :wink: ).

Are there any commands, or anything else, which can tell me why, having an IP from dhcp, I cannot connect anywhere?

Thanx!

Don't panick but I think youve got confused.

The good news is your probably REALLY CLOSE

Its not your fault becuase in windows everthing gets hidden away on the premise the user won't understand. Or put another way itslike when you get to a certain milestone point at school and you decide to take a subject youve covered generally. The first thing the teacher says is "everything we tought you concerning this subject up to now is wrong"

So I'm going to go right back to basics probably further than I need so don't feel insulted.

An IP address is a Postcode/Zipcode for your computer. It uniquely identifies it and sends all your correspondence (packets) to and from it.

Its added to your outgoing packets so they can be returned etc.

DHCP and pppoe are completely different things.

DHCP is a method where a computer can be given an IP address by another computer/router/modem or whatever.

Its just a protocol, you have a server that listens and a dhcp client.

The client looks in standard places for something that responds and says, he, ill give you an IP. Now back to a mail analogy. DHCP is only valid on your network, and that can be a network of 1. Its like your mail room at work handing out a random number everytime you send mail.

They keep that random number with a reference to your office number, it means something to them but nothing to the rest of the world.

ppp is a transport protocol, in other words its an agreed way for two computers to communicate.

pppoe is a way of putting the ppp protocol OVER an ethernet (normal network) connection.

I followed the links to i-choice.

Its not very specific and I'm rushed for time.

It appears the DSL modem you have is a router. A router is any devlice that takes IP addresses from one range and forwards them to another.

I expect it hands out an IP address - (by being a DHCP server) and then forwards packets from this address to your ISP.

In this case it would need to actually hold your password and username as well as your ISP. This would be stored internally.

For it to be set internally it must have got this from your Windows PC

Perhaps it also authenticated against the windows PC. Each ethernet card has a UNIQUE address called a MAC address. This may have bee set in an installtion program. I will look later but anyone else trying to follow the links needs to know we can't access the page you linked but

http://www.i-choice.cyta.com.cy works.

Are you using the same PC for Windows and Linux ?

The good news is therse devices are quite advanced, you can usually telnet into them and change the settings but obviously you need to know what your doing.

Your ISP may have deliberately made it so you can only use ONE pc, its quite normal to stop businesses using a home line.

When Mandrake starts with the Starting eth0 it is not verbose.

If you bring it up down from a root prompt it will give more details like searching for IP....

use (as root)

ifdown eth0

ifup eth0

Ill try and get back later but I have a busy day....

The information you provided is really going to help though now we know just what we are dealing with.

Guest oberon

Hello!

I will look later but anyone else trying to follow the links needs to know we can't access the page you linked but 

http://www.i-choice.cyta.com.cy works.

I noticed this and decided that www.i-choice.com.cy is used for these 'initiations' or other DSL inner works and doesn't respond otherwise. If you see the reference page address I've shown previously, it is on the www.i-choice.com.cy server.

Are you using the same PC for Windows and Linux ?

Yes, I do.

Your ISP may have deliberately made it so you can only use ONE pc, its quite normal to stop businesses using a home line. 

Yes, it can be so, since they propose also more expensive ADSL connection for businesses.

use  (as root)

ifdown eth0

ifup eth0

OK, I'll try this now, but I'll have to reboot into Mandrake and then back again to come here...

Thanks!

Guest oberon

OK, here is the result of ifup eth0 (after ifdown eth0):

/sbin/ifup: line 433: 2277 Hangup /etc/init.d/tmdns reload >/dev/null 2>&1

For me, looks like some problem... :shock:

Hi, I'm no expert but your problem sounds very similar to what I had and I would like to tell you what I did to solve it. However first, there is a major difference between my setup and your setup. I have only Linux on my system whilst you seem to have Windows and Linux. Here'sthe chronology of events for me.

1. First make sure you installed Mandrake with the BIOS setting for plug and play devices to Off. When I installed Mandrake the first time I overlooked this and after a long time playing with the settings I realised and thought this might be a problem. So I did a fresh install of the full Mandrake system again with the proper BIOS setting.

2. The second mistake I made when I installed Mandrake for the first time is that I chose to setup the network after the installation was completed using the same Wizard you are trying to use. With my second installation I had 1) the correct BIOS settings and 2) set up the network and adsl connection using the Wizard in the installation program. Not the Wizard in the Mandrake Control Panel. And after this I managed to connect to the internet.

3. After my second installation, I don't remember exactly how or why it happended, but I needed to run the Network Wizard again from the Mandrake Control Center, and after that, no more Internet and adsl again. So after a long time playing with all sorts of settings I decided to reinstall the Mandrake again using exactly the same procedures as in points 1 and 2. And till now after more than one week I have a stable internet connection. However I did not use that Network Wizard again in the Mandrake Control Center. I think there must be a bug in it and when I have time I will send MDK a report about my experience.

4. What's good to know is that I have exactly the same modem as you, however my ISP settings are different. For example I need to put an IP address in my Network card and also I have to put a DNS server address. Do not fill in a gateway address. Leave it blank (thats what I suspect anyway) since you are only connecting one PC and not a network. Also my ISP uses PPTP. I looked at the settings that are on your ISPs website and I did not notice any reference to this. I mean do you use PPTP or some other method? You really will need there help with this.

Good Luck and hope this helps you. :shock:

Guest oberon

Hello, and thank you very much for your involvement!

1. First make sure you installed Mandrake with the BIOS setting for plug and play devices to Off.

I did this from the very beginning.

2. The second mistake I made when I installed Mandrake for the first time is that I chose to setup the network after the installation was completed using the same Wizard you are trying to use.

Yes, this is exactly what I found after several trials & errors. There is definitely some bug in that wizard which works after the installation. When I used it, there was no life in my networking at all. When I use the wizard DURING installatin, some etho:9 appeares in my system (although I don't understand yet what it is) and it gets some IP address when the system is loading.

So, actually, I did all the things which you advise and the rest of my problem is in the different kind of DSL connection - you have a fixed IP and in my case it is assigned dynamically. But I should be not so far from solution now...

Thanks again!

Guest oberon

Finally, the solution is found. It is stupidly simple and I think I tried something like this earlier, but with no success. Maybe I made some different setteings then...

The solution was: to take the IP Address, Subnet Mask, Gateway, DNS Server and Host Name exactly as they are shown by ipconfig /all command in Windows. And then set up the connection as LAN entering all this stuff. Now everything works - not fine because many things hang the system up. Here I come to another problem - with Mandrake Update... And if I'll find nothing about my problem in forums, I'll post another question.

But for now, many thanks to everyone who helped me to find my way through this problem! :D

Hey, I knew you were close...

I just reread the post quickly.

your problem was with the DHCP client.

sbin/ifup: line 433: 2277 Hangup /etc/init.d/tmdns reload >/dev/null 2>&1

tmdns is the mini-DHCP client which is used for the zeroconf setup.

It could be it wasn't looking in the right address range for the DHCP server (on your DSL modem)

Anyway, you actually did it the advanced way, using static IP's. This is probably far better anyway .... well done.