Desktop Problem [solved]

Abinash

Now this is what i call - don't show your talent if you don't possess one

At the time of setting up Mandriva free 2008.1 spring, it asked me to select a desktop environment.

Today i have read some articles relating to gnome vs KDE

so i wanted to try GNOME myself. As you all know I am new to LINUX i don't know how it is done.

So i went to control centre, then to boot-->auto loggin--> there i selected GNOME as my desktop instead of KDE

and now when i am booting its showing

GNOME v2.22 first panel is loading second looks like the show desktop icon of WINDOWS and finish nothing more

and if click any where the GNOME part dissappears and nothing happens. All I am left is with the Login screen. :wall:

So guys am I in a BIGGGGGGG Trouble of this problem does has a SOLUTION.

Now this is a nasty one. You can run mcc (the mandriva control centre) in text mode from text console but I can't seem to find a way to reach the auto login feature.

This is happening because you didn't install Gnome, or did you? you wanna try Gnome, so might as well install it. Have you added the Mandriva official repositories? I hope you did, otherwise this procedure won't work. Press Alt+Ctrl+F1 this should reduce the display to a text console. Login as root:

localhost login: root

then enter your root password and hit enter.

Now to install Gnome, type:

urpmi task-gnome

After the installation process finished, open mcc and cancel the auto login feature.