Guest daveclark

Guest daveclark

Hi All

For some reason im having issues after upgrading from 9 to 9.1

One of the things i just noticed is that Grip fails when i try to rip a CD

I get 2 errors

1. Error: cant open the m3u file

2. No write access to write wav file

Im not sure what the issue could be as the default settings under 9.0 worked fine for Grip.

Anyone got any ideas?

By default grip places the mp3 files and the m3u's in a directory <home>/mp3

I'll assume you are less familair with the Command Line Interface (CLI)

~ stands for anyones home directory, you can use it in scripts/config's used by more than one person.

Config/Encode/Options

~/mp3/%A-%d.m3u

So you should make sure it still says this and that you do have access to this directiry.

If you copied all your MP3 directory using a different account (like root) when you upgraded then root will have ownership.

Open a terminal/console/

ls -l mp3

If you dont own it you can use the chown command to give your self access.

Comfirm the above and I'll type more.... if relevant

Guest daveclark

Hi Stephen

Thanks for your help with this.

Ok results

Checked the config in Grip which was just as you specified so no probs there.

performed the ls -l mp3 in my home directory and found that the mp3 folder was only read and execute for a user so did a chmod +777 on the folder.

Now the folder shows as having root as the owner but users have rwx permission.

Went back to Grip and attempted a rip. The m3u error is gone but the error "No write access to write wav file" still occurs.

Im guessing that the wav file being only an intermediatery (sp) would be stored in ~/tmp so I changed the permissions of temp to include user access (was only root) and tried again.

Whoops no change still recieve the "no write access to write wav" error.

Any further pointers?

Oooh don't do that!

Don't give files in the home directory root ownership (bad)

Giving permissions to /tmp (very bad)

Don't worry, its difficult to get used to when to be root and when not.

su -

<type pass>

cd /home/

chown -R <youruser>/<youruser>

chgrp -R <youruser>/<youruser>

exit

cd

chmod -R 777 mp3/*

Should work.

:-)

p.s. unless you download a MP3 coder it will only do Ogg by default from the box.

plf and texstar both have plenty of options for the actual encoder which is in the options tab's

You'll wanna change the filename to esle your mp3's will have a .ogg extension.

remember ~ is the current users home, its just the last part .ogg you wanna change.

The temp files are in the mp3 directory so don't worry

script kiddies, yes Im aware its a oneliner for group/owner but KISS.

strictly speaking 777 isn't needed but the UMASK will take care of it!

stephen_lord's instructions are a bit off.

instead of:

cd /home/

you want:

cd /home/youruser

otherwise you'll change permissions on all directories in /home (plus you won't be in the right dir of changing permissions of your mp3 folder), not so good if you have more than one user or any dirs in /home other than the one belonging to your regular user :-). the rest of his instructions are correct.

Guest daveclark

huh

i must be doing something wrong!

when trying to complete the instruction

chown -R <youruser>/<youruser>

im getting the following error

chown: too few arguments

Try `chown --help' for more information.

before you ask. yes i su'd to root before the command was performed when i was in my users home directory I also replaced <youruser> with the actual user name.

The man page for chown refers to : and , being the seperators for the command but not /

Now im confussed!

Sorry, my mistake small typo/brain misfunction on my part.

First it assumes your in /home.... and your username is the same as the home directory. This is the default for mandrake so I'm assuming it is....

The , / stuff just forget, I deliberately broke it into a two stage operation so you'd understand each part, the problem was my typing/brain.

In other words you can change owner and group at the same time using chown but the syntax is more complex so I chose the easy one.

If I remember (and i'm sat at work on NT) the syntax is:

chown <user> <file>

chown -R does this recusively so if <file> is a directory it will do all the other directories too.

so chown <user> <homedirectory> from /home will give you ownership of all those files but they will still have group root ownsership.

The second command chgrp will sort that out.

chgrp -R <user> <directory>

Its a captial R by the way.

tymes explaination is actually cleaner .. and the -R option is often not a good idea. It's OK in this actual instance but as a general rule its not a good thing. Same goes for chmod 777, generally you should set file permissions to the minimum you need but since this is your mp3 directory I figured other users having access to the same mp3's is OK.

tyme, sorry just read your bit: daveclark: don't read this till youve done it or you might get more confused...

(explaination to do it that way is I wasn't 100% sure if it was <owner> <file> or <file> <owner> If I hadn't put in the / it wouldn't have mattered :-) )

tyme, he's in the right directory for mp3. I had him chmod as his user, becuase of the exit, and just in case he wan't in is home directory before su - the cd <noargs> will take care of this !!

Just some hints:

I'd look into file ownership and permissions a little, its really important for security under linux.

Google will help or I'll find something more direct:

Look into what is a group/user and how they map to user id.

Also its good to know about suid.

Also /tmp runs a lot of proceses inclding tempory ones. These can be started from the internet etc. giving them root privelidges is not a good idea.

Linux is half about learning why you do something so its always good to learn a little from everything you do....

Happy ripping