Firefox will not import bookmarks (again) [solved]

satelliteuser083

There has been nothing reported yet at bugzilla.mozilla.org about this, so you may want to report it.

I've always copied my bookmarks from my old firefox directory, like daniewicz has suggested. It keeps them in better order for me than using the import option (IMO).

My routine is to export my Bookmarks and Addressbook to a separate folder that I keep in a different partition that does not get reformatted whenever I do an upgrade or a fresh install.

Then it is easy to Import them into Kmail or Firefox.

What I have found is even easier, is to copy .kde and .mozilla to a backup folder on a safe partition or a flash drive.

Today I installed two brand new Western Digital 320Gb SATA II 16mb cache (5yr warranty) Hard Drives.

I set up the bios for Raid 1. I did a clean install of Mandriva 2008-Spring. Did all the updates and installed all the extra applications I usually use but which are not on the dvd.

When done I copied .mozilla and .kde from my original drive into my new system then rebooted. Lo and behold, Firefox was fully setup with all my addons, settings and themes.

When I opened Kmail it too was fully setup and ready to download mail plus my addressbook details and received and sent mail was there too.

On top of that my Main Panel and extra Panel was there with all the application icons on them that I usually setup. What was also impressive was that all the ksensor settings in the system tray were there as well plus the two clocks were setup as I like them.

Wow. What a time saver.

I did the same for .xmms, .pysol, .gqview, .mahjongg-3d and so on .

This is how I will do it all in the future. The time saving is massive and removes a lot of tedium.

Cheers. John.

I did as suggested (copied the bookmarks.html into ~.mozilla/firefox/u01zfwnn.default) and all is now honky-dory. Interestingly, my exported bookmarks.html (the one I wanted to re-import) is 1.1MB large, whereas the one that I overwrote is a massive 5.6MB; but it seems to work, so WTH. :unsure:

Thanks for your tip, John, I'll try it when I install a new OS.

Once again, many thanks to you all. :thumbs: :thumbs:

• 1 month later...