making an update CD

tyme

ok, so i'm sending off a copy of MDK 9.1 to a friend of mine who wants to install it on her machine (but doesn't have the time/DL speed to get it herself) and I want to send a CD with all the updates along with it.

I have an idea on how to do this, basically my plan is to download all of the update RPMs along with the hdlist from a mirror and pretty much just burn the RPMs to the CD along with the hdlist.

my question: would I need to modify the hdlist so that it lists the packages correctly? or, as long as the source is entered right within rpmdrake, will it list the packages correctly?

i plan to instruct her to add the cdrom as a normal source and just have the installer in MCC sort the packages as updates/additions-i think this should work. suggestions? corrections? etc.?

if i do this (which we all know is shaky as I say I'll do a lot of things and never do, eh....i.e. the kernel tut.) i'll probably make an image of it for others who may want it.

oh...hmm....if there is already an updates cd image, just point me to it...but I didn't find one in my searching....

Yes, just add as an update source. She can point it to her CDROM, or put the contents of the updates into a local folder, and use that folder as the update source.

You don't have to make a hdlist on the cd, all you have to do is burn the rpms to the cd, then when you add the source, it will compile the list.

I added a directory on my computer with rpms in it and that is how it works.

The theory seems to be that if you are adding a remote source, it would take too long to extract the necessary information from each package and compile a list, while if you use a local source it obviously takes less time.

I just did:

# urpmi.addmedia local /pathto/rpms

And it was sorted (to my surprise, I did something right!).

Of course, she could just use the GUI package manager...

she probably will (use the GUI)...aside from my showing her linux on my system 2-3 years ago, she hasn't used it much...

although, at that school we did most of our programming in an AIX environment...so she does have a little idea of the whole command line deal.