X Clipboard Access and Clearing [solved]

mandusr20071

Is there a way to access the clipboard in Mandriva similar to /dev/clipboard in cygwin? Middle click in Firefox sends the clipboard data to Google, so this is not a minor issue. I would like to have a program (daemon?) clear the clipboard data when I start firefox.

I have had this problem for a while in Mandriva. I am running Mandriva 2007.1.

Any help is appreciated.

TIA

Edited by mandusr20071

Guest OniLink

you can use klipper, then access to clipboard data with the dcop interface, for example, using the command dcop

dcop klipper klipper getClipboardContents

dcop klipper klipper setClipboardContents "some text"

to set the clipboard data,

dcop klipper klipper clearClipboardHistory

to clear items, etc.

browse dcop with

kdcop

you can also sync the two buffers, clipboard (pressing ctrl+c) and selection (selecting some text) to merging into one by configuring klipper

• 2 weeks later...
you can use klipper, then access to clipboard data with the dcop interface, for example, using the command dcop

Thanks for the reply. I tried it, and it works well as far as it goes. However, I have a low memory machine, and I am not running KDE. I would like a program that does not load all the KDE infrastructure. Further, clearing the contents of the clipboard using the klipper command only makes it unavailable to klipper. Middle click still has the data available, which is the original problem I was hoping to solve.

Edited by mandusr20071

You want to get rid of the function that makes firefox loads whatever text that was highlighted or copied to the clipbaord? in firefox type in the location bar: about:config .... search for middlemouse.contentLoadURL and double click it to make its value false instead of true. Now the middle click won't load the text in the clipboard.