upgrading harddisk

Guest Ptaieb

Guest Ptaieb

I have a pentium II with a disk of 3gb, I want to move my system to a Pentium III on a 40Gb disk.

as you might guess, I don't want to reinstall all my system (this is my gateway, mailserver, homedirectories....) I will never be able to rebuild my configuration, my users will kill me. they are all backpackers and cannot stay without their email more than few hours.

is there a sure way to pass everything from the 3Gb to the 40Gb ? if I can do that, I have a copy that I can play with until I am sure of what to do

thanks

Guest Ptaieb

there are on the same network, and yes, I could copy the important files across, but few point are against this.

1 for noise reduction reasons, I cannot let both system on at the same time

2 how can I find which files are the important files ? I cannot start playing with the system, this is why I thought of copying everything on a new disk and go on from there

3 been a newbee, it will take me few days before I will have all done, so I cannot start guessing which file is needed and which is not, this is also the reason why I try to pass ALL of the 3 gb on the 40Gb

I heard of some command like 'dd' (told you I am a newbee on Linux :oops: )

SoulSe is onto something.

My suggestion: Install MDK on the new box, install all the necessary programs, then find the required config files (and all other files that people need access to) and copy them over to the new server.

You see, the big issue here is that the new system is a completely different hardware configuration (I'm guessing) so just doing an image of the one system and moving over to the new system with larger partitions would cause issues-the new hardware detector that mandrake has probably wouldn't like a complete change of all hardware. If it was just a new harddrive, this process would be a little simpler-but your safest bet is to install MDK on the new system, along with all software, and then move over the necessary configuration files.

1 for noise reduction reasons, I cannot let both system on at the same time

:shock: Is there no way you can have them both on at the same time?

Anyway, the important files depend on what you've done and installed, obviously your home folder is the first place to begin...

Guest Ptaieb

is there a way that I can pass the home directoryes onto the new system, and make it transparant for the remote users ? If they ssh to my gateway, it redirect them to the home directory on the second system ? i could move slowly all services from the old one to the new one, and at the max will have only one service down at a time : homedirs, website, email, .....

still a newbee but getting better :P

Well, you could copy them onto the new system, export the folder as a NFS export and then mount it on /home via the fstab on your other machine.... then it would use that as the home folder and your users would not know th difference... :wink: