OpenOffice languages

Gowator

Has anyone worked out how to get different concurrent versions of OpenOffice yet installing from RPM?

when i try on install it lets me but then defualts to the last language installed. If I try and add later it deinstalls the previous and installs the new one.

What I want is to log in as a different user and have the whole Office (interface,dialogs etc) not just spell checker etc in the locale...

At install its lets you select which ever you want but then I can only start-up the last in the list (german).

If I install just one and then try and install the localisation I get told it conflicts and needs to be removed before I install another.

that's odd. I just tried to make sure and I have no problems adding locales to Openoffice. It does insist on running in the locale of the user - I can't find a way to coax it to start in a different language ('env LC_ALL=de_DE oowriter' does not work).

When I installed it the first time (didn't do it at install time), I chose the l10n rpm first which made rpmdrake to choose the openoffice proper as a dependency. Maybe it has something to do with this?

I have this working the way I want it but it may not be the way you want it. Also I did this from a fresh install, I have no idea how to do it when you already have Linux installed.

During the install when it asks you to pick a language select all the languages you want OOo in.

After the install goto the control panel and the Hardware section, then select the login manager. Select GDM rather than the Mandrake one.

You may now need to reboot.

When you come to the login you should now have a button at the bottom of the screen that allows you to select which language you want. Now everything will be in that language including OOo.

The only problem I have had with this setup is when I use the same account in more than one language the spell checking in OOo does not always default to the same language as the menus, but this relatively easy to solve, just go to tools, options and set the language you want to spell check in (all of the languages you selected should be available),