New printing problem.

VeeDubb

Okay, i am having a enw printer problem now that I'm running 9.1 I hope somebody can help.

I'm using an HP PSC1210, not natively supported by mandrake. Itrequires CUPS, foomatic, libusb, libusb-devel, the CVS versio of HPOJ and hpijs 1.4.1 whitch was just released a few days ago.

under 9.0 I installed all these things and it worked great. I just upgraded to 9.1, installed every printer related update and installed all the stuff I listed above. configured it all just the same, but now it takes LITERALY 2-3 minutes per page to print.

What in 9.1 could cause this? different libusb maybe? or something else? Some other package perhaps.

Well, I don't know how, but I fixed it. It now runs a usable speed. basicaly I uninstalled and reinstalled the required packeges in every concievable order and finaly it worked. May have had something to do with the failed attempt at using mcc to set up the printing part and the package or two it installed, though it didn't tell me what they were.

Careful with that. Next time try to remember what you did for two great reasons: To help yourself in the future, and to help newbies with similar problems! I wish I could remember how I got DVD and audacity working!

• 2 weeks later...

I have had some problems with my printer, a Samsung ML-4500, that were mysterious. I finally read about the parallel port settings in the mail archives at linuxprinting.org and also read about the parport module in /usr/src/linux/documentation (or something -- I hate looking up paths all the time). Check your system bios for the parallel port settings. Probably ECP/EPP, irq 7 dma 3 or something like that. Then check /etc/modules.conf and see if you have the "alias parport_lowlevel parport_pc " and "options parport_pc io=0x378 irq=7 dma=3" (or whatever applies to your system). It is discussed in the documentation -- don't trust my memory! Apparently many newer printers rely more and more on the bidirectional printer cable and driver software.

I hope this helps